Presidential Democracy....The peoples choice!
It is a system of government where the people chose their president. The people also choose the lawmakers who represent them. The presidents and the legislators serve fixed terms in office. Countries such as United States, Russia, and most of Latin America use presidential democracy.
The pros of Presidential Democracy
- Presidents are directly elected by the people
- more responsive to the public than their party
- enjoy more legitimacy and public support than a prime minister
- separates executive and legislative powers
- prevents abuse of power in each branch
- with fixed terms it may be more stable
The cons of Presidential Democracy
- almost impossible to remove presidents from power before their term ends
- when presidents are not from the political party that controls the legislature, the result can be a gridlock
- presidents have used their power to establish authoritarian regimes