Week of: December 17 - December 21
Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas! Tis' the season of giving and season of joy! I am so excited about all of the WONDERFUL things that the McAllister Elementary School Staff and Students have been able to accomplish this year! The Christmas Break ahead is well deserved and will hopefully involve time for you to rest, relax, recharge and spend some time with your family & Friends! Be sure to check your box Monday morning if you have not done so already as we have a week of fun, festive events planned to show you just how much we appreciate you and want to celebrate you this time of year!
The last 5 days of this semester will be nothing short of WONDERFUL, rest assured! Maintain the focus, engagement and excitement for this week! Remember - these kiddos will go over 2 weeks without seeing you and will miss you INCREDIBLY!
We will host a Christmas Get-Together on Tuesday, December 18th in the Media Center. The entire McAllister Staff is invited to attend - there is a special surprise and lots of fun to be had by ALL; each grade level/special area will be showing off their culinary skills and bringing a treat to share so be sure to put your heads together and make/bake something WONDERFUL.
With parties on Friday, it is imperative that you communicate all party information with parents. ALL parents will enter through the gymnasium, be held in the gymnasium until time for parties and will check students out from the classroom prior to departure if they wish! In addition, if a parent has children in other classrooms, they will also check them out from their respective classrooms as opposed to sending them to the front office area. This week, you will receive 2 visitor stickers for each of your students, the room moms will also receive a sticker that is unique to them so that they may assist in party set-up. Be sure to have a handy list of those students that may have special notes in their file about guardian pickup, etc. There will be no outdoor recess during party times, it makes it quite the chore to find students when they are not in the proper location. If you need anything or have questions please do not hesitate to contact me, any administrator or a fellow teacher! This is one of the most WONDERFUL days of the year!
Below I have listed a few updates and reminders to activities planned for the weeks ahead:
Please DO NOT ever send students back to the playground for a jacket, item, etc once carline has started - Kids running between moving cars is not safe for so many reasons. If you have questions regarding this expectation please let me know.
- Tuesday, December 18 -ALL Staff Meeting/Holiday Celebration- ALL are invited to attend. Please use this link to sign up to bring a treat: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0849AFA928A6FD0-christmas
- Friday, December 21 - Last Day of School - (Share memo below with parents)
- Thursday, January 3, 2019 - 190+ Day Employees are Back to Work
- Friday, January 4, 2019 - ALL Staff, Including Paraprofessionals will be back.
- Friday, January 4, 2019 - ALL Staff Meeting - 8AM - Cafeteria
With the exception of the Faculty Meeting, you will have the 3rd and the 4th to plan and prepare for ALL to come the 2nd Half of the #BestYearYet. Work hours will be from 7-3 Daily; Lunch will be on your own as your schedule allows.
With an intentional focus of consistency on being curious & crazy for kids you will ALWAYS find a culture that is student focused!
Have a WONDERful Week!
Guided Reading & School Improvement
While this is a journey, I have listed a few of the appropriate steps that we will need to continue to implement school-wide so that we are moving collectively in the direction of success as it pertains to increasing the level of literacy of all our students :
Just a few reminders:
- Assessment Kit Teacher’s Guides are located on the School’s Team Drive for your convenience. You can find the Running Record Teacher pages there.
- Running Records should be completed before break.
- Include all lesson plan components when teaching. If you don’t finish a lesson in time, pick that item up the following day. Try not to leave anything out.
- Focus on using data to direct your instruction. (Running Records, sight word assessments, word knowledge inventory, etc.)
- When planning, please use the lesson plan templates provided in the book. Keep in mind that not all portions are meant to be filled out before your lesson, so not every box will need to be filled.
- Strategies and skills by level start in the Appendix at the back of Jan Richardson’s book to use when planning.
- Comprehension is solidified through writing so try not to skip those writing components or writing days.
- Guided Reading is the only true practice at all schools K-5 in Bryan County, so try and implement this practice with fidelity and ask for help if you need it.
Please use this form to list your guided reading times. This link will remain accessible should you have a change in your scheduling.
Making Moves at McAllister
- From Ms. Fanning to Ms Carpenter: Wow! I am just amazed at the incredible drama performance that Ms. Carpenter put together! It was awesome thanks to her dedication and organization, and I am sure hours and hours of preparation that she put into it. Thank you for not only making it a learning experience for the kids involved, but a lot of fun for them as well. You rocked it!
In a school of over 135 it can be hard to know everyone's name...Have you had a chance to look at the staff directory where pictures of our staff members can be located?
Click this link to see all of the awesome things our teachers have posted on twitter this week. Always remember to use the #MESrocks when posting to keep these items united!