By: Jordan Nugent
- Charles Manson (Charles Maddox) was born on November 12, 1934 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- His mother was an alcoholic and a prostitute
- Since his mother couldn't take care of him, he spent most of his youth at the homes of many different relatives, reform schools, and he even spent some time on the streets
- By the age of 9 he started stealing cars
- By 1951 he began spending time in prison
- At the age of 19 in 1954 he was put on parole and released from prison for good behavior
- In 1955 Charles Manson married 17 year old Rosalie Willis and they both moved to California
- Later she became pregnant with his first child, Charles Manson Jr, but Charles resumed a life of crime again by stealing cars
- While he was back in prison in 1956 a year later his wife found a new man and divorced Charles in 1957
- In 1958 he got released from prison while out he began pimping, conning people out of their money, and stealing checks out of mailboxes
- Later he married a prostitute named Candy Stevens and he fathered a second child named Charles Luther Manson
- Manson was soon arrested on June 1, 1960 and he was sent to Mcneil Island Penitentiary and his wife soon divorced him
- While he was in prison he became friends with Alvin "Creepy" Karpis who taught him how to play the steel guitar.
- He then became obsessed with music. He practiced all the time,wrote many original songs, and started singing
- He began to believe that when he was released from prison, that he would be a famous musician
- On March 21, 1967 he was released from prison
- After he was released he headed to San Francisco with his guitar and drugs to gain his followers
Manson's Music Career:
- In 1968 Manson and his followers drove down to Southern California because he was still hoping for his music career
- While there he hung out with Dennis Wilson of The Beach Boys
- The Beach Boys did record one of Manson's songs which appeared on one of their albums
- He met Terry Melcher and he thought that he would be able to advance his music career, but nothing happened and that made Charles very upset
- Charles and his followers moved into the Spahn Ranch which is located northwest of the San Fernando Valley
- Once Charles and all of his followers moved down there, they all became known as "The Family"
-All the members of the family scared the same passions for the unconventional lifestyle and the habitual use of LSD, acid, and magic mushrooms
He was involved in the murder of the hollywood stuntman Donald "Shorty" Shea that was assigned by Manson. He served less then 15 years in prison before his parole.
Charles "Tex" Watson
He was involved in the murders of Actress Sharon Tate, four others and the murders of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca. He was found guilty of the murders in 1971 and he's been in prison ever since.
She was also involved in the murders of Sharon Tate, four others, and the murders of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca. She was found guilty of the murders and was sentenced to death, but later she had her sentence changed to life in prison.
Charles "Tex" Watson
She wasn't involved in any of the murders, but she was still part of the family and she was loyal to Manson. In 1975 she pulled a gun on President Ford and she was sentenced to life in prison. She escaped from prison in 1987 but was captured and was jailed until her release in 2009.
He wasn't involved in any of the murders. After the murders of Tate/LaBianca he provided information about Manson and the murders to the police and in 1970 he testified and provided key evidence about Manson's motives. He died of leukemia in 1990.
She wasn't involved in any of the murders but she was arrested for witness tampering and her involvement in a plan towards Manson's and the others release from prison. She was released 5 years later and distanced herself from The Family.
He was an aspiring actor and musician. In July 1969 he stabbed Gary Hinman then wrote "Political Piggy" on the wall in Hinman's blood. He received death penalty but later it was changed to life in prison.
She gave birth to Manson's 3rd son. She was in jail at the time of the Tate/LaBianca murders. Manson went to prison in 1971 and she and the others tried hijacking a plan to force his release date, but they were arrested and jailed until 1977.
She went to the houses of where the murders took place, but she never went inside. She left The Family a few days later and when The Family went on trial in 1970 she was the prosecution's main witness and escaped prosecution.
She was involved in the murder of Sharon Tate and four others. She was found guilty and sentenced to death. Her sentence was changed to life in prison when California banned the death penalty and she died in prison in 2009.
Leslie Van Houten
She was involved in the Leno and Rosemary LaBianca murders. She stabbed Rosemary 16 times. She was found guilty and sentenced to death. Her sentence was changed to life in prison when California banned the death penalty.
- One of Manson's favorite bands was The Beatles
- Manson was very good at manipulating people. He took pieces from different religions to form his own philosophies
- In 1968 The Beatles released their White album and Manson predicted that the song "Helter Skelter" would erupt and upcoming race war
- He predicted that "Helter Skelter" was going to happen during the summer of 1969 and all the blacks were going to rise up and kill all the white people.
- He told his followers that they would all be saved because they would hide underground in an underground city of gold located in Death Valley
Sharon Tate Murder:
- On the night of August 8, 1969 Manson told four of his followers to go to 10050 Cielo Drive in Los Angeles and kill the people inside
- He thought the house still belonged to Terry Melcher (The man who didn't help Manson with his music career) but instead actress Sharon Tate and her husband director Roman Polanski rented the house
- Sharon's husband, Roman Polanski was out of town at the time of the murder
- After dropping acid four of Manson's followers cut the phone lines and then brutally murdered Sharon tate, her unborn baby, and four of her friends who were visiting
- Sharon was stabbed 16 times in the chest and back
- As Sharon begged for the life of her baby to be saved Atkins would scream back at her saying "Look, bitch, I have no mercy for you. You're going to die, and you'd better get used to it."
- On the outside of the front door the word "pig" was written in Sharon Tate's blood
The LaBiancas Murder
-Leno was found with 12 knife wounds and 14 other wounds caused by a fork
-The word "war" was carved into his flesh with a knife
-Rosemary was found in her bedroom with a bloody pillowcase pulled over her head and a lamp cord around her throat
-She was stabbed 41 times in the lower back area
-The words "rise" and "death to pigs" was written in their blood on the walls
-The words "Healther Skelter" was scrapped into the refrigerator
Arrest and Trial:
-In 1969 the country sheriff had them all in custody but the confession from Susan Atkins made the county sheriff realize that The Family was responsible for the murders
-The trial began in June 1970
-Manson showed up in court with a "X" carved into his forehead and later the x was turned into a swastika
-On January 25, 1971 Charles Manson was found guilty of conspiracy to commit the 7 murders of the people
-Manson was sentenced to death but that changed to life in prison
-Charles Manson is serving his life in prison at Corcoran State Prison in California
-A 26 year old women named Star Burton claims that her and Manson are in a relationship
-In November 2014 they got a marriage license which expired in 2015
-Shes intending to marry Manson so she can publicly display his corpse for profit after his death