The Counselor's Corner
It's that time again! Group Counseling Sign Ups are here!
In today's day and age it is essential that students learn problem solving, decision making, effective communication, and goal setting skills in order to be fully prepared for middle school, high school, and beyond. The counseling program is pleased to offer a range of groups this winter that will provide students the opportunity to learn and practice these skills in a fun, accepting environment.
In addition, small group counseling is a wonderful opportunity for students to meet others, develop friendships, and work through challenges in a safe environment all while learning skills that will enable them to be successful in school. For general questions regarding group counseling, please see our FAQ's below.
To sign up for counseling groups, please see the descriptions and sign-up forms below. Sign ups are accepted on a first-come, first--serve basis only and are due by Friday, January 29.
Please note: Space is limited to one group per topic. To ensure that your child has a spot in our groups, please sign up as soon as possible.
1st Grade Group: What a Friend! - Students will learn and practice appropriate social skills like joining a group, sharing, including others, identifying and expressing feelings, and problem solving skills.
2nd Grade Group: Storytelling Stars - Using books and stories, students will learn how to develop and maintain friendships, how to be cooperative and work as a team, and and how to use conflict resolution techniques.
3rd Grade Group:
1. Good Buddies Club - Students will learn and practice pro-social skills like cooperation, good sportsmanship, and conflict resolution.
4th Grade Groups:
1. Friendship Garden: Girls will learn how to communicate assertively, manage difficult emotions, practice ways to handle changing friendships, and stand up to bullying or mean moments (For Girls Only)
2. Look Before you Leap: Students will learn problem solving, conflict resolution, and decision making skills and how to apply them to real-life situations.
5th Grade Groups:
1. Communicate Straight: Girls will learn and practice ways to handle the positive and negative dynamics of female friendships, including identifying and expressing feelings appropriately, assertive communication, and anti-bullying strategies. (For Girls Only)
2. Opening Doors to the Future: Students will learn and practice goal setting, effective communication strategies, conflict resolution techniques, and strategies for managing the transition to middle school.
Middle School Groups
Sign up Forms
Friday, January 29.
Printable Form: Please click here for a printable paper form. Please return this form to the counselor by Friday, January 29.
Group Counseling FAQ's
1. When do the groups meet?
- Elementary Groups meet during the school day for about thirty minutes on a rotating schedule. Middle school groups meeting on a rotating schedule. 3-4 sessions will meet during lunch. 2-3 sessions will meet during class time (other than math). Students will not miss more than one of the same class for groups.
- The teachers, students and I work together to ensure that that students are kept up to date on any work they might miss.
2. What do we do in group?
- We use group discussions, movies, games, and activities to learn and practice a particular skill.
3. How can my child participate in group?
- Please fill out the form provided here. Unfortunately, I can’t guarantee that I will facilitate each group listed. I will schedule the groups based on the students’ needs and interests. Thank you!