8th Grade AVID Syllabus
Mrs. Jessica Scheff
The Mission of AVID
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
It is expected that AVID students will:
· Succeed in the most rigorous curriculum,
· Enter mainstream activities of the school,
· Increase their enrollment in four-year colleges, and
· Become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society.
Students are to have the following materials everyday:
- Charged Chromebook
- 1" binder with 5 tab dividers
- Loose leaf paper
- Pens, pencils, highlighter
- Pencil sharpener (enclosed, small)
Binder Checks: 30%
Learning Logs: 5%
- Google Drive Binder AND 1" Paper Binder: Students will be keeping a Google Drive Binder for all core classes to be checked in the AVID classroom. Students will also keep a 1" binder with tab dividers for all paper work for AVID and their core classes.
- Class Work: Students will complete class work mostly using their Google Drive Binder.
- Homework: Students will be assigned homework EVERY Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday due the following school day.
B) Tuesday night: Make sure that their binders are in order according to the rubric. Ensure they have complete Cornell Notes on Wednesday, as well. Cornell Notes must reflect revision. We will check that notes have been edited, highlighted, questioned, and summarized.
- Each student will support their classmates.
- Homework will be completed on time.
- Students are on time to class. Conduct is held in the highest regard.
- Students will be actively engaged in the appropriate websites and programs during class time.
- Students' Digital and Paper BInders will remain organized and up to date.
- In the Spring, all 8th grade AVID students will take the ACT Explore Test.
About Mrs. Scheff
Personal: I love spending time with my husband and my beautiful daughter. In my spare time, I sew and do a bunch of DIY activities around my house. We love going to Disney often. I love watching college football, especially my 'Noles. My favorite TV show is Big Brother.