The Boutz Buzz
November 9-13, 2015
Thank You Letters, Family Trees and 16 Fantastic Writers!
Hope you had a fantastic week! We had some great conversations this week and added a lot to our schemas. We did a lot of writing this week and I was excited to see them really stretch those words out!
We discussed families and how they are all different. We read a few books about families and talked about what makes a family. This included discussing families who live far apart, 2 parents, 1 parents, adopted parents, or other family members (aunts, uncles, grandparents) taking care of us and how we all may look different/like different things but the important thing is that they are OUR families and we love them. We also made our own family trees and began writing a book about our family. They turned out really cute and I loved hearing the students explain each of their family members.
We also discussed Veteran's day which related to our families unit as my own father is a Veteran. We learned where Veteran's day came from and discussed what traits make Veterans heroes. We also talked about a Veteran may not always be in uniform, but that there are Veteran's all over the world and they look just like us. The students wrote Thank You letters and made american flags that are hung in our hallway. I can't wait to send some of these letters to my dad and best friend who is actively serving. :)
As a reminder, I sent home November Book Orders Friday and would like those returned by Monday, November 30. Holidays are coming up and an easy read book for your child is perfect present in building their confidence! I know I want a ton of the books in this order! :)
We have also began the Book It! Campaign with Pizza Hut. This means when your student returns their monthly reading log filled in, they will receive a coupon for a free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. Even if its those paper books sent home, 5 minutes of reading each night can help your child become better readers and build their confidence!
I would also like to remind you that we will have our Kindergarten Thanksgiving Feast on Tuesday, November 24th from 11:15-11:45 am. Each class will be in charge of making one dish to share with all of Kindergarten. We are in charge of green bean casserole! Yum! We are asking each student to bring in someone to contribute to the feast. As of now, I only have 5 signed up to bring food, so I told the students that they will receive a starburst when they return their yellow paper (or have their parents sign up online). So if they bug you about it, thats why. If for some reason you cannot contribute a food product, we always need extra help the day of. Please just let me know that way I can prepare to purchase more on my own.
You may use the link below to sign up online: http://www.SignUpGenius.com/go/30E0E49A5AD2EA3F94-thanksgiving OR return the hard copy sent home last week. If you need another copy let me know.
PTA is also sponsoring a movie night at B&B Northland 14 (off of Brighton) on Tuesday, November 24th. They are showing the PEANUTS movie at 6:30 pm. I have already seen it and I must say it a fantastic! It has great nods to everything classic about the PEANUTS comic strips and an amazing message in the end for little ones. (I believe) The price of tickets are $5 for little ones and $7 for adults. Movie Ticket Order forms were sent out last week and are due by this Friday, November 20. If you need another copy, please send me an email. I plan to attend and I would really like to see as many of my kiddos there too!
Only 7 more days before Thanksgiving break! We have a lot of work to get done but lots of fun to ha
As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email or call me.
Green Lights For Our Veterans
Our theme is Pilgrims and Native Americans!
- Our sight words are: have, her,
- In Animated Literacy we are learning: long A is for Abe's Skates, OW (ou) is for Grouchy Owl
- We are going to focus on ending sounds.
- We will work on really stretching our words out in order to be better writers. They will finish their books on their family and write about thanksgiving feast with Pilgrims and Native Americans.
- We will continue working on schema, or what we know. They have been great about reflecting on what they have learned and how it is added to their schema. :)
- We will also continue discussing sequencing and retelling.
- We will begin chapter 5 (addition) in Go Math!
- We will .
- We will continue using math language (i.e. "greater than, more than, less than, equal to, etc) but will begin using "add"
- We will continue using manipulatives to represent numbers.
- We are going to learn about pilgrims and native americans and the first Thanksgiving.
- We will make our own Pilgrim outfit and Native American Outfit. We will use these when we dress us for our feast on November 24th.
- We will continue focus on weather changes. We do this everyday during calendar, but they must be able to explicitly explain weather changes and how it effects behaviors of animals, nature and humans by the end of kindergarten.
Dates to Remember
November 17: PTA Meeting, 6:30 pm
November 18: Cici's Fundraiser Night
November 20: PTA movie night forms due
November 24: Kindergarten Thanksgiving Feast, 11:15 am
November 24: PTA movie Night: Peanuts Movie, 6:30 pm
November 25-27: No School/Thanksgiving Break
November Snack Schedule!
8:30-9:00 Math Stations
9:30-9:45 Individual Reading
9:45-9:55 Restroom Break
10:15-10:35 Reader’s Workshop
10:35-11:10 Writer’s Workshop
11:35-11:45 Restroom Break
12:40-12:50 Restroom Break
12:50-1:20 Math (cont'd)
2:10-2:20 Restroom Break
2:20-2:30 Quiet Time/Individual Reading/Snack
2:30-2:50 Animated Literacy
2:50-3:10: Social Studies/Science/'Catch Up" time
3:10-3:15 Pack Up
3:15-3:35 Discovery Time
Please contact me with any questions or concerns.
In case of urgency/ weekend needs, my personal cell is 816-582-1585. I'm also a Millennial, which means I text. ;)