Wolf Call Weekly
Welcome to this week!
HELLO WOLF PACK STUDENTS AND FAMILIES,
Welcome to the First EDITION of the Wolf Call Weekly for 2021!
We hope that you have had a wonderful and restful Winter Break. As we begin the new year and quarter 3, we have some resources and information that we would like to remind you about in this Week's Wolf Call Weekly.
If you have a questions about your Quarter 3 classes, contact your teacher via email or during their scheduled availability.
In an effort to continue improving communication to our families and community of West Hills High School, please take a moment to review the weekly, informative messages below. Are you looking for previous editions of the Wolf Call Weekly? The West Hills website has them as a resource. (Info, Wolf Call Weekly)
We encourage your participation as an active reader of these communications that will help bridge our communication between WHHS and Students & Families. Thank you for your continued support for all students at West Hills!
Robin Ballarin, Principal
Apri Baker, Assistant Principal (A-G)
Carrie Gaeir, Assistant Principal (H-O)
John Hoadley, Assistant Principal (P-Z)
Cyndi Nowlen, Manager of School Facilities
Schedule for the week
As you plan for the beginning of Quarter 3, here are some dates to remember:
Quarter 2 ended on Dec. 18; Final Grades are posted to transcripts January 18, 2021
Quarter 3 begins Monday January 11, 2021
Check your schedule (Quarter 3 classes are Periods 1,3,5, & 7)
- ALL STUDENTS - On January 11, log in to ALL classes via Schoology or Google Classroom for Distance Learning schedule, activities, assignments & class updates
Check your email as you may get updates from your Teachers
Create a plan to set yourself up for success
Blended Learning groups resume on campus
(Group A 1/12/21, Group B 1/13/21, Group C 1/14/21, Group D 1/15/21)
- January 18: No School- Campus closed in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- January 25-29: Great Kindness Week led by WH ASB (more information to come!)
Important Dates for February and March 2021
- February 8th - No School- Campus closed in observance of Lincoln's Day
- February 15th- No School- Campus closed in observance of Washington's Day
- March 12th- End of Quarter 3
- Monday March 15th - Thursday March 25th -Campus closed for Spring Break
- Friday March 26th- Quarter 4 begins
Student Tutorial Schedule for Q. 3
Daily Attendance and Participation
At Level 2, students either come to campus once a week or have full distance learning. To reinforce the idea that school happens every day, teachers will now track roll and participation each day. Students are expected to interact with the curriculum for each class every day. Individual teachers will communicate with students on how they will be marking participation. Students and parents will have access to the attendance tab in the Student and Parent Portal in Infinite Campus starting on January 18.
We have also activated a feature in the Student Campus Portal where students can check-in with their teachers each day. Teachers may request students to complete this task each day. Directions on how to do this will be shared with students.
Please see the video below for an overview of the student portal and participation.
Mandatory Live Zooms
To complement the Daily Attendance and Participation change, teachers may now require students to attend live Zoom meetings:
- either during, before, or after the regularly scheduled class period each day or on specific days.
- to both distance-only and on-campus students.
Additionally, teachers may award points for activities completed during these virtual class sessions.
Note: It is possible that not all your student's teachers will be doing this.
How many hours a week should I be working on school work?
- school is still 5 days a week.
- students need to be engaged in virtual and/or in-person learning everyday.
- 9th/10th classes- 7 hours a week per class x 3 classes = approximately 21 hours per week
- 11th/12th classes and other classes - 10 hours a week per class x 3 classes = approximately 30 hours per week.
West Hills Key Club Service Activities
Please click HERE for more information about the West Hills Key Club!
Equity Committee Update!
If you would like to join us, please email April Baker (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Robin Ballarin (email@example.com) and we will add you to the email invite for our next meeting January 26 at 4 p.m. online.
Our sub-committees were the idea of students in our committee at large and are student lead! We welcome all who want to work on our racial, gender, religious and cultural equity issues within our community.
You may read the notes from our latest meeting here.
Mental Health Resources
A Friendly Reminder...
- to WEAR FACE MASKS at all times while on campus: This is NOT optional.
- if you are wearing a clear face shield, you MUST WEAR A FACE MASK in addition to the face shield.
Neck and Face Gaiters Reminder
- Also, The CDC has updated their website and our District has asked us to make sure we are not allowing neck and face gaiters on campus any longer.
- Please see the CDC page here for more information.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Connect with WHHS
Mending Matters: @mendingmatters
WHHS Distance Learning Hub: https://sites.google.com/guhsd.net/whhs-hub/home