The Wonderful Whales
Miss Vananzo's Amazing Team: News for the Week of Oct. 12
News from Room 25.
Swimming Through a Great Week!
**First of all, thank you so much for the very special gifts I received for my birthday. I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness. The mums were absolutely beautiful and are already planted in my front garden. I loved the gift card. Home Depot is like a toy store to me. I will love shopping to buy things for my home. Thank you for thinking of my.
In reading we....
- listened to a fabulous presentation by Mr. Anderson from the Snyder Foundation. We learned so many new things about mammals.
- read a non-fiction story about whales and identified main ideas and supporting details
- read together the story Not Norman and learned how to identify the important events in the beginning, middle, and end of a story
- learned about common and proper nouns
- visited the computer lab and used our BCPS logon to play math activities in a program called Dreambox
- listened to a story by our student intern: Ms. K
- Took a walk to our meadow to learn about this habitat
- As mathematicians we.....
- set up our interactive math notebook
- charted strategies for solving addition problems
- participated in our second pocket day
- discussed strategies for solving subtraction story problems
- used place value and other math skills to talk about our number of the day
Ocean of Events
- School Store
Thursdays - 2nd & 3rd grade
- Coat, Boot, Sweater and Halloween Costume donation drive has started. Place new or gently used items in the yellow bin in the JES Lobby Oct. 1st-15th for Hawthorne Elementary students.
- October 16: No School for students: Teacher's Convention
- October 27: Papa John’s Pizza Day for JES PTA
- October 28: Beans and Bread Breakfast donation for the Homeless
- October 30: Halloween Parade: Dismissal at 12:50
- Nov. 12: California Pizza Kitchen (Hunt Valley) donates 20% to JES PTA
- American Education Week – Nov. 16-20 – JES visitation schedule TBA
Catch of the Week
- Great job with Technology Tuesday. If you have issues with your internet, please let me know. I know what this can be like.
- Since it is getting closer to cold season, donations of Clorox wipes are always appreciated. We wipe down our desks at least two times a week.
- Thank you so much encouraging reading at home. Please be sure to record their minutes on their Dive Into Reading form.
This is a wonderful website for review of our weekly spelling words. The students can play games and take practice spelling tests. Please follow these directions to find our lists.
2. On the home page click the SEARCH TAB
3. Then click, Teacher/Parent
4. Type: Vananzo in the search box. Then click search.
5. Then click on my name.
6. The weekly spelling lists will appear.
Gym: Monday and Friday
Library Books are Due Each Wednesday
Dive Into Reading Program
The students are beginning to bring in their signed forms for the month of October. They place them in a special bin. I will check them as quickly as I can. Forms must be signed by and adult before prizes will be awarded. I hope this program motivates The Wonderful Whales to READ and ENJOY!
Dive Into Reading Program
On Friday, we had our first Book Munchers activity.
Parent volunteers read a Henry and Mudge story to the Wonderful Whales while they enjoyed their lunches.
Each small group talked about pets and made predictions about the story while taking a picture walk.
Students then answered questions pertaining to the story.
Then the students created a "tri-orama."
This is a 3-dimensional design to tell about a favorite part of the story.
At the end, the students took a "Gallery Walk" where they walked around the room to enjoy looking at each teammates art work. Thank you so much parents. Without you, this activity would not be possible.