The Rigsby Reader 2.16.15
Updates from Room 311
-Raleigh Payment #2 is Due Feb. 27th - Moe's BBQ Forms & Money are due!
BYOT (Bring Your Own Technology)
- I can only connect your child to the internet, I cannot fix broken technology or troubleshoot anything else.
- Students may not use their devices to record or take pictures without permission from me or a district staff member.
- If students are not complying with district guidelines rules and expectations their devices can be confiscated or inspected.
- Students are responsible for proper care and responsibility of their devices.
Light the Night Auction- Donations Needed
Light the Night, Claxton's biggest fundraiser of the year, needs donations to be auctioned! To donate items or services, please fill out an Auction Form in the PTO room and leave items in the silver box, or contact Annie Hawes at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dawn Rentz at email@example.com. Also- plan on attending this FUNdraiser on March 6th!
NC Farm to School Art Contest 2015
Is your child an ARTIST?
The NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is sponsoring the NC Farm to School art contest in 2015. The deadline of February 27 is quickly approaching. The contest is open to all public school students in grades K-5. Each student who enters will receive a personalized certificate. Thirteen winners will be chosen to have their artwork featured in the NC Farm to School 2015-16 calendar, which is distributed state-wide.
Container Garden Contest
What We Are Learning
- Reading- With a focus on Informational Text and Text Structure we have revamped our reading groups. Students were previously grouped by their reading level, now students will be grouped by their specific needs in "strategy groups." We will still be using our Daily 5 structure during our reading time
- Read Aloud: "Zombie Baseball Beatdown" We are REALLY into this thrilling book. Not only do we get to discuss zombies in school- but it brings up some great conversations about citizenship, immigration, the FDA, bullying, and our food supply.
- Math- This we we are working on Symmetry of shapes and reviewing all of the thing's we have learned. . Friday we are having a unit test on Geometry.
- Writing- We have left Narrative writing and have moved into "Bringing NC History to Life" Informational Writing. L The topics that each student chose come directly from our Social Studies standards.
- Social Studies- In Social Studies this week, we will continue to look and examine the North Carolina Constitution and Bill of Rights.
- Roots and Wings- Students continue to work on their Balobby Project. This project has students creating a land in centimeters for a mythical creature called a Balobby. (Bah-LOB-by) Students will be working in small teams to design a land for their creatures- calculating the perimeter & area of their rooms. Students will also identify the angles and types of lines that are used in their design.
Dates to Remember:
- February 16th – February 20th: First week of After School Arts.
- February 16th: Daily 5 Open House (teachers from other schools observe in our classes), Family Night at Pisgah View Apartments at 6pm.
- February 18th: Chinese New Year Parade and Assembly.
- February 19th: BBQ Pickup in the Gym 5:30-7:00 (Also give your feedback on the Claxton Playground!
- February 25th: Assembly (Soul Performance by LYRIC!) for all grades in the gymnatorium (1:15pm).
- March 6th: Light the Night Claxton Auction at The Mill Room (7:00pm).
- March 24th: Chicken Dinner & Math Night
- April 24th-26: Claxton School Play!