Bureau of Youth and Adolescent Health
Harris County Sports Authority Sponsor Youth to Attend International Soccer Game
The Harris County-Houston Sports Authority (HCHSA) sponsored 15 MBK Youth in the Fifth Ward Enrichment Program (FWEP) to attend an international friendly between Ghana and Mexico on June 28, 2017 at NRG Stadium.
Be on the lookout for increased engagement between youth and the Houston sports community.
Community Engagement - Scarborough Feeder
- Know Your Rights Workshop - MBK Houston co-hosted an immigration-focused "Know Your Rights" workshop with partners St. James Family Life Center and Maranthas Church. The workshop included presentations and free legal consultations with immigration lawyers. More than 40 families were in attendance.
- King's Hike and Bike - MBK Houston collaborated with the non-profit Kings Bike and Hike to increase awareness of active living and bike safety. The event was held at Diamond Ridge Apartments and provided over 30 children with helmets, bike reflectors and a safety training course. Obstacle courses were set up to teach the youth about traffic signs and signaling while riding a bike.
- Summer of Information Resource Fair(s) - In an effort to bring resources to often-overlooked apartment complex residents, MBK Houston has hosted 2 of 3 "Summer of Information Resource Fairs at One Point Apartments and Casa Rosa Apartments. A third fair is scheduled for August 10th at Oak Glen Apartments. A sincere thanks to all partners who've participated in these events: St. James Family Life Center, Baylor Teen Clinic, SER-Jobs for Progress, Houston Community College, Catholic Charities, Summit Dental, Legacy Clinic and United Health Partners
Educator "Know Their Rights" Workshops
As the summer comes to a close, My Brother’s Keeper – Houston is gearing up to host multiple Know Your Rights workshops for HISD educators and community organizations in the Kashmere, Wheatley and Scarborough communities. We will be collaborating with reputable Houston-based organizations who are part of the Houston Immigration Legal Services Collaborative and subject matter experts to provide attendees with relevant and up to date information and tools to assist students and their families remain educated about their rights and responsibilities. More information about these workshops can be found on the My Brother’s Keeper- Houston website calendar.
MBK Houston Milestone Activity Snapshots
MBK Houston Basics Campaign - Sneak Peek
In collaboration with a number of great partners, the Houston Basics Campaign will be launching soon. We will highlight a different video from the Houston Basics campaign each month. We are excited about the widespread dissemination of these important tips!
HYPE Freedom Schools - Northside Finale
Freedom Schools has been a fabulous 5 weeks! We hope you will come and celebrate our 110 scholars, their families and teachers. You are invited to the Northside HYPE Freedom Schools powered by MBK Houston, on July 25 at 7pm, from Bethany Baptist Church – 7304 Homestead.
We hope to see you there!
Positive Youth Development - Summer Programming
The Bureau of Youth and Adolescent Health has partnered with the Parks and Recreations Department to implement All Stars, a substance abuse prevention curriculum, in 3 community centers throughout Houston. Additionally, Positive Action, a positive youth development curriculum is being implemented with 100 youth. These initiatives will reach 200 youth between the ages of 10 and 21 over the Summer 2017 months.
Gates Scholarship for Minority High School Seniors
In order to apply, students must be:
- African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- A citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- A high school senior
For more info, follow the link below.
City of Houston - Summer Jobs Program at HHD
On June 12th, the Houston Health Department welcomed 100 youth to begin their summer internship as part of the City of Houston Summer Jobs Program. The interns range in age from 16-21. To kick their internship off, they participated in an orientation at Sunnyside Multi-Service Center for a day full of information, games and prizes. The orientation had several speakers that highlighted the wonderful work our Department is offering to our SJP interns. The interns received Public Health 101 training on all the inner workings of the Health Department.
The interns are placed throughout Houston at 26 health locations including: Multi-Service Centers, WIC sites, HYPE Freedom Schools, Health Clinics, the Laboratory and the HHD Administrative building at North Stadium. Interns are able to work 32 hours a week which allows them to gain knowledge and hands-on experience in the departments they are assigned to. Throughout the summer, the interns will participate in 6 workshops that aim to provide additional life skills training
Mayor's 7th Annual Back 2 School Fest
Saturday, Aug. 12th, 8am-2pm
1001 Avenida De Las Americas
Please Pre-Register here: http://www.houstontx.gov/btsf/registermystudent.html
Adolescent Health Provider Meeting
Friday, Aug. 18th, 8:30-11:30am
8000 North Stadium Drive
- Youth-serving professionals who deliver or facilitate access to health services
Please RSVP here: https://goo.gl/sQWq8w
Dixie Sasu - Dixie.firstname.lastname@example.org
Melissa Bing - Melissa.email@example.com