WEEK OF AUGUST 15, 2022
Message from the Principal
It was so great to see our families at Open House last week, and we are excited to see our students back at school tomorrow (Monday, August 15).
There seems to be some confusion from the color coding on our school calendar...please note that Monday is a FULL DAY for students. The only half day is scheduled for the last day of school.
As a reminder, our school hours for 22-23 are:
- 7:50 AM - students may arrive on campus
- 8:15 AM - tardy bell rings and the day begins! Students who arrive after 8:15 AM will be counted as tardy and need to check-in at the front office
- 3:15 PM - dismissal begins immediately following announcements
The additional information included in this newsletter will help ensure a successful start to your child's 22-23 school year!
We wish all GLOW student and families a great year!
Kate B. Tayloe
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Please be reminded that our school hours have changed for 22-23. Our school day will run from 8:15 AM to 3:15 PM daily.
🚍 BUS TRANSPORTATION
Bus Stop Locations and Times can be found in THIS FOLDER.
As a reminder, GLOW does not offer door-to-door transportation for students and our routes do not go into neighborhoods. Instead, we utilize community bus stops. Community stops reduces the length of our bus routes and prevent stops that occur prior to 6 AM and after 5:30 PM. These stops do not typically exceed 1 mile from the students residence.
Please keep in mind that it always takes the first week or so of school to smooth out our bus routes at the start of a new year. We appreciate your patience as we navigate the typical beginning of year speed bumps!
If you need to request Bus Transportation or have questions related to your child's bus stop, please contact our Transportation Coordinator, Kevin Whaley, at email@example.com.
📱 Cell Phone Policy
At GLOW, students may use cell phones before school, during lunch, and after school.
Cell phone use is prohibited in classrooms, restrooms, and school offices, unless otherwise directed by a teacher or administrator.
During the instructional day, cell phones must remain out of sight and in silent mode. If students are using cell phones during prohibited times they will be confiscated by school staff.
- 1st Offense: The cell phone will be secured by the teacher and returned at the end of the class period. The infraction will be recorded in our electronic behavior documentation system (ABE).
- 2nd Offense: The cell phone will be secured by the school and returned at the end of the school day. The student’s parents will be called to inform them of the infraction and that if the cell phone is confiscated again, it will be held at the school until a parent attends a parent-student conference regarding this repeated behavior.. This infraction will be recorded in ABE.
- 3rd Offense: The student will receive an office referral, and the cell phone will be secured by the school and only returned to the parent at a scheduled parent-student conference.
- 4th Offense: The student will receive an office referral and appropriate consequences up to and including out-of-school suspension.
Youth Community Choir
COVID Testing Available
✅ PARENT REMINDERS ✅
We are preparing Chromebooks to begin distribution in the first week of school. Want to ensure that your child is ready to receiver their Chromebook at the start of the year?
We need to receive TWO things before your GLOW student can receiver their Chromebook:
- SIGN CHROMEBOOK AGREEMENT: The GLOW Chromebook Agreement must be read and signed by the parent and students. You can find the GLOW Chromebook Agreement HERE. We encourage you to read it prior to Open House, and then either print and sign the last page to turn in at Open House or sign one of the copies that will be available at Open House.
- PAY $20 DAMAGE WAIVER: You can submit cash payment for the Chromebook Damage waiver at Open House or the parents of returning students can create an account in https://www.k12paymentcenter.com/ to pay the fee online. NOTE: Newly enrolled students have not yet been uploaded into the payment system. We will let you know when online payment is available for new students.
If you have additional Chromebook questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rising 7th & 12th Grade Required Immunizations
In North Carolina, children are not allowed to attend school (whether public, private, or religious) or a childcare facility, unless they have received all immunizations appropriate for their age.
While most of these immunizations occur before students enter Kindergarten there are two additional requirements that impact rising 7th and 12th grade students for the 2022-2023 school year.
RISING 7TH GRADE: Students entering 7th grade will be required to have one dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine and one dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine.
RISING 12TH GRADE: Students entering 12th grade will be required to have a booster (second) dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine if they have not already received one.
An up-to-date immunization record indicating that your student has received the required immunization is due by the first day of attendance at school. If proof of immunization is not provided within 30 calendar days after school entry, your student will not be allowed to attend school until it is provided, as required by law.
Immunization records can be dropped off at school or scanned/emailed to email@example.com.
GLOW's Uniform Requirements will be full enforced in the 22-23 school year. Students will be required to be in uniform compliance before arriving to class each day. While we know most of you have already ensured your child has the uniform pieces necessary to be in compliance with school expectations, the vendor link to order additional items can be found HERE. An additional flyer from our School Uniform Vendor can be found below.
PLEASE NOTE: Students will need a GLOW polo shirt for days that are designated as "Formal Uniform Days" (i.e. field trips, college visits, school picture day, etc.). Families will be notified in advance when polo shirts are required to be worn by students.
As a reminder, GLOW Uniform requirements are outlined below and can also be found HERE:
- GLOW yellow or purple uniform polo shirt only
- GLOW Spirit Shirts or GLOW shirt received from participation in a GLOW sponsored club/activity (ex/AVID)
- GLOW indoor uniform jackets
- GLOW navy uniform cardigan sweater
- GLOW uniform fleece
- plain navy cardigan sweater (no logos or labels allowed that aren’t GLOW)
- plain navy crew neck (no hood) sweatshirt (no logos or labels allowed that aren’t GLOW)
- Navy or black shorts or pants (khaki colored bottoms are allowed for high school students)
- GLOW navy or black uniform shorts or pants
- GLOW plaid uniform skirt
- GLOW gray uniform skirt
- NOTE: Bottoms may not be rolled
SOCKS & TIGHTS, LEGGINGS (W/SKIRTS):
- Students can show their individual personalities through their selection of socks, tights, and leggings; HOWEVER, leggings are only to be worn under the GLOW uniform skirt, NOT as pants and fishnet stockings are NOT allowed
- Hair Accessories: headbands, bows, ribbons, and head scarves
- Available GLOW Uniform Accessories: plaid headbands, bows, or ribbons
- Belts: solid colors (black, navy, or brown) or GLOW plaid uniform belt
- NOT ALLOWED: hats or bandanas
- Closed toed and closed heel shoes (no sandals)
- NOTE: if wearing CROCS, ensure that there is a strap in the back
- GLOW uniform jacket (may be worn indoors)
- personal outerwear (coats and jackets) of choice are only acceptable to wear outdoors.
- Gym shorts or sweatpants
- GLOW uniform gym shorts or sweatpants
- GLOW uniform t-shirt
- NOTE: shorts may not be rolled