Ms. Silas' 2nd grade class 2020-2021
Happy New Year!!! I hope everyone had a restful break. The 2nd quarter will end on Thursday, January 14th and report cards will go out at the end of the month. Please let me know if you have any concerns after reviewing your child's report card. At this time I would also like to set-up teacher parent conferences to discuss your child's progress.
During the next few weeks the students will be taking several benchmark assessments and tests to monitor their progress so far this year. These tests will be administered during your child's small group reading and math times. Please make sure your child logs into the Microsoft Teams meeting to take their tests.
Last week we began a new science unit on the life cycles of living things. On Thursday, January 14th, I have scheduled a guest speaker to present a science program called "Around We Go" from the Cabarrus County Active Living Parks Department. This program will be presented virtually during our science session (12:30-1:00 pm) and we will get to see some live animals and discuss their life cycles.
Towards the end of the month we will complete another STEM project. Students will build a raft. They will also make a penguin that will float on their raft. More information on this project will be sent out soon.
Third Grade is an Important Transitional Year
Your child's 3rd grade year is fast approaching. They will be taking their first BOG (Beginning of Grade) and EOG (End of Grade) state tests during 3rd grade. My major goal as your child's teacher, is to make sure your child is prepared with the necessary skills to enter 3rd grade. I am asking for your help during the next two quarters of our school year to make sure your child engages in all of the live instruction, assignments, and activities assigned. Students should also be meeting with me in small groups and working on the adaptive lessons in I/Station and I/Ready. Let's work together to close any gaps that may exist and help them reach their highest academic potential.
January "Show and Share" and "Spirit Days"
- Thursday, January 14th "Spirit Day" (wear a hat)
- Thursday, January 21st "Show and Share" (an object that reminds you of winter )
- Thursday, January 28th "Spirit Day" (wear your favorite color from head to toe)
To be counted present during our Learning Day: Your child’s learning is extremely important to us. It is the goal of CCS for all students who are in Plan B on their assigned off-site/remote learning day (not in-person) and students who are in Plan C (100% Remote) to be present on Microsoft Teams and actively participating in live synchronous instruction for the entire session.
1. For your child to be counted present during his/her learning day, the student must be present on Microsoft Teams the entire session or class period. Attendance will be monitored during the entire session. Teachers have the authority to modify attendance if your child is not present for the entire session. Teachers will consider any technical issues or reasonable interruptions that may occur.
a. Students are required to attend a minimum of one live session per day to be counted present.
b. Students must complete the homeroom attendance form (for the grade levels that have this) on a daily basis. This also applies to any asynchronous days that students may have.
c. If you are unable to access the live sessions because of activities outside of the school for a particular week, please notify the Principal so we can adjust attendance and follow the guidance below during that time.
CCS takes into consideration technical issues, privacy concerns, and other urgent personal matters. Therefore, on occasion, your child may be marked present on his/her assigned remote learning day if he/she:
2. Views the recorded lesson(s) for each subject/period missed and completes the Recorded Lesson Demonstration Form on the Teacher’s Canvas Course for their learning day. Your child is expected to complete this form confirming they watched the entire lesson(s) and to reflect on the instruction provided.
3. Or parent has two-way communication with staff (email, phone, text app, communication app, Canvas message) regarding specific technology or instructional resource access on their assigned remote learning day. Communication must take place the day of the issue or by the end of the following school day.
4. Or parent notifies staff regarding specific technology or instructional access (regardless of the staff member’s response on that day). Communication must take place the day of the issue or by the end of the following school day.
5. Completes assignments that are assigned and due the day of their assigned remote learning day by 11:59 p.m. Monday through Friday. This includes both synchronous and asynchronous instruction.
● If you notice an error in attendance, please contact the teacher so he/she may double check and correct if necessary.
● If you have any questions, please contact your child’s teacher or school.
Mark your Calendar
- Friday, January 15th Teacher Workday (No School for students)
- Monday, January 18th Martin Luther King Jr. (No School for students)
- Wednesday, January 27th 2nd quarter report cards issued