Summer Edition - June 2020
A Note from Ms. Owens
It's hard to believe that we are approaching the end of June. It feels like we just finished Book Return and Report Card Pick Up, but that was over three weeks ago! I hope that you and your families are able to find time for summer fun and relaxation. I'm hoping to unplug for a few days next week.
Like many of you, we are eagerly awaiting the Archdiocese's plan for reopening schools in the fall. We expect the plan to be released in the next two to three weeks. Next week, you should be on the lookout for a video message from the Office of Catholic Schools (OCS) with an update on the progress of their reopening plan. St. Catherine will also push the video out to school families.
We are blessed that many St. Catherine families volunteer their time with both the school and the church. All adults who volunteer for the church or the school must be Virtus certified. Part of the certification process involves attending an approved workshop. If you are considering volunteering at St. Catherine during the coming year and are not already Virtus trained, I encourage you to take advantage of the remote training sessions currently being offered. You can sign up for a remote session at the button below. In the drop down menu, choose Chicago.
A Bit More News
- Dream Raffle tickets have sold out. Huge thank yous to the team for their Herculean efforts to make this fundraiser a success for the St. Catherine community.
- The church has begun welcoming a limited number of parishioners to celebrate Mass in-person. In order to attend, parishioners must sign up online. The sign up is available below. Be sure to read the protocols that must be followed by those attending Mass in-person.
- The deadline for ordering school supply kits is Wednesday, July 1. Scroll down for more information.
- This summer's Vacation Bible Camp has been cancelled. We're looking forward to next year! (updated 6/29)
- As we enter the summer months, we know families may need to contact the school. Please know that Mrs. Kehoe and I will continue to do most of our work from home. Please reach out to us via email or phone.
- If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email. Scroll down to see local businesses we can support.
Please pray for our nation, for our communities, for our brothers and sisters who are tired and broken, for our brothers and sisters working to keep us safe, and for own sorrows. We are all - each and every one of us - beloved children of God.
School Supplies Kits for 2020-2021
The button below will take you to the site for ordering. The website will close on July 1.
Some Dates for Next School Year
- First day of School - August 20th
- Christmas Break - December 23-January 5th
- Easter Break - April 2nd - April 9th
- 8th Grade Graduation - June 4th
- Last Day of School - June 9th
Dream Raffle Update
The final drawing will take place this Sunday, June 28 following the 9:30AM Mass. Best of luck to all of you who purchased a ticket!
Vacation Bible Camp 2020 - Cancelled (updated 6/29)
More Activities for Kids This Summer
Area Resources for Those in Need
Ways to Support Our Local Small Businesses
If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email.
This restaurant is owned by the same family that owns Bar 106, where our Queen of Hearts Raffle is hosted.
Faith Resources and Activities
- Please remember that you and your family can view St. Catherine daily Masses with Fr. Dennis or Fr. Nick by clicking on the button below.
- Consider participating in or helping to lead our weekly Rosary for Healing on Tuesdays at 6:30PM. Buttons are below.
- If you are missing conversations about scripture, Zoom into Scripture is for you. Groups are forming for adults and for families. The sign ups are below.
Queen of Hearts Raffle
While Queen of Hearts has been paused, the SCA community can support the owners of Bar 106, the local business that hosts our Queen of Hearts drawings, by ordering curbside pick up from The Whistle Sports Bar and Grill.