Monthly Newsletter for Child Nutrition Administrators
LISTEN TO THE LATEST NEWS
VERIFICATION COMES TO A CLOSE
Don't forget to capture your official count for verification on October 29. The preliminary verification report will be due November 15. Please contact your ESC Region 11 specialist if you have any questions.
USDA SEEKS FEEDBACK ON BUY AMERICAN PROVISION
Due Date: November 2
TDA has added new information to the school FAQs. Topics include
- Virtual students
- Unanticipated district closures
- Food safety inspections
- CEP/P2 if operating SSO this year
Check it out here.
QUARTERLY FSMC MONITORING
TDA requires that CEs conduct quarterly FSMC monitoring that will be submitted prior to renewal. Only one site must be monitored each quarter -- although the CE can definitely do more. This monitoring is NOT the same as the monitoring that must be done for each location for NSLP/SSO. Access the NEW FSMC monitoring form here.
- If you ordered turkey roasts via Brown Box, those orders will not be fulfilled. USDA was unable to secure a bid.
- Bonus processing round 3 has been allotted. Find out what you received in the spreadsheet located here.
TEA PEIMS WEBINAR
We have located the video recording regarding how SSO apps can be coded. Watch it here. Don't forget to share this with your PEIMS department and administration.
MISSED VERIFICATION TRAINING?
Find all of the materials, slides, and recording here.
FIGHT PANDEMIC FATIGUE
Are you looking for help with addressing pandemic fatigue with your staff? Check out these five tips.
YOUR TURN ON THE MIC
Tell us about your fall menu and line decor ideas. Just send your photos and videos to your ESC representative.
LOOKING FOR AN EXTRA HAND? CONSIDER AN INTERN!
- A dietetic intern is looking for an internship position from January to June for one to two days per week. She is hardworking and has foodservice experience. If you are interested, reach out to Elisha.
- TCU is seeking internship positions for their dietetic interns for the spring semester. Rotation days are Tuesdays and Thursdays (8 hours each day at your set schedule). Rotations are from January through April. These interns are looking for mutually beneficial assignments that will help them learn about foodservice management. If you are interested in taking on an intern, please reach out to Jocelyn.
WE NEED YOUR FOOTAGE OF CHILD NUTRITION OPERATIONS!
Do you want to show off your awesome CN Department? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics School Nutrition Services practice group, led by our very own Joceyln Karbo, is collecting video footage and photos of current school nutrition operations to be used in upcoming projects. The idea is to better capture what is actually happening in schools instead of using stock images that do not show what we do. If you are interested in participating, please reach out to Jocelyn.
TURN UP THE VOLUME: DEADLINES APPROACHING
Official count for verification reporting
Attachment B Uploads due (not required for CEs only taking applications for P-EBT)
Summer Mandate Waiver available in TX-UNPS
DC Upload in TX-ELMS
Verification deadline; submit Preliminary Verification Report
FSMC Packet available
REQUEST TIME: REGISTER FOR A CLASS
ADDRESSING SUPPLY CHAIN WOES
Eight tips from the School Nutrition Association (SNA):
- Communicate often with your vendors and distributors.
- Forecast early and often.
- Maintain flexibility with menu planning.
- Get orders in much earlier than in the past.
- Partner with other schools to maximize deliveries.
- Backstock your supplies with shelf-stable items.
- Speak with state agencies for guidance.
- Take advantage of USDA’s emergency procurement waiver.
Most importantly, stay positive and carry on. As always, school nutrition professionals will get through this together. Go to SNA’s website for more information and tools.