January 29, 2021, Volume 11, Issue 18
Letter from the Principal
There's a lot to look at this week so I'll let the articles and links do the talking; however, I will say it was nice to have Mon//Tues & Thurs/Fr model back. I think it feels a little more normal these days and our students seem to do be doing much better with it.
It's hard to believe we finished January and are already moving on to February. Please see the calendar below for any questions about the month. We have a lot going on in February - report cards are going home Friday, February 5th, we will be raising the Black Lives Matter Flag, we will be kicking off I Love School Week (an adaptation of I Love to Read & Write Week) February 15-19, and hopefully celebrating the 100th Day of School too!
Have a great weekend; stay warm and take some time to read with your child.
Happy New Year!
Quote of the week:
From the author Pearl S. Buck -
"All in all, Vermont is a jewel state, small but precious."
Sleds Are Out!
School Nurse Notes
- Masks are getting wet when outdoors and are not as effective (and certainly not comfortable). Please consider sending in 2 EXTRA MASKS in your student's backpack. Remember to WASH dirty or wet masks before reuse!
GET A FLU VACCINE
According to the CDC: GETTING A FLU VACCINE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER DURING 2020-2021 TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU FROM FLU, AND TO HELP REDUCE THE STRAIN ON HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS RESPONDING TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC.
While some people who have had the flu vaccine can still get sick, studies have shown that the severity of illness decreases with flu vaccination, including a decrease in hospitalization and death.
COVID VACCINE UPDATE
Vermonters 75 years and older can now make an appointment to get a COVID-19 Vaccination.
Can't make an appointment online? An appointment can be made by phone: 855-722-7878
COVID RESOURCES: Click on underlined below to follow the link.
- What to do when you are waiting for COVID test results
- Isolating, quarantining and self-observing
- COVID translations
- Frequently Asked Questions: COVID-19
- Return to School Following Illness guidelines
- COVID-19 PCR Testing Sites:
- If you/your student has symptoms of COVID-19, contact your health care provider first, to determine if testing is needed. If you don't have a health care provider, call 2-1-1 to connect to care.
- If you/your student are not sick, but need a test, consider scheduling a test at a pop-up site on the Health Department's website: "Where to Get Tested," through your provider, or call the Health Department @ 863-7240.
Thanks for reading!
Nurses Kara & Darcy
The PTO (Paremt-Teacher Organization) continues to work to make this year a fun and productive one! We support teachers and the whole school in creating a strong community. We believe it is important to continue to show appreciation and support for our teachers and staff, so we would like to occasionally give some sweet treats! We are also thinking ahead to when things get back to normal and we can bring our events back (Skate Night, Spring Fling, Math Night, etc.) - even if they cannot happen until next year! Your support is still very important, especially since we could not host our major fundraiser, the Fun Run, last fall. If you can, please donate by sending a check to the Orchard PTO, c/o Suzanne Hebeler, 36 Cortland Avenue, South Burlington, VT 05403 OR donate online: https://my.cheddarup.com/c/orchard-pto/item/2556395
We are also creating Joy Bags! These bags have sensory supplies, books, and other boredom killers and happiness givers that teachers can have on hand to tuck into the backpacks of students who seem to need a pick-me-up during these times.
And we need you to join us! We welcome new members! If you have a little room in your schedule, consider volunteering! Email Kristin at email@example.com with thoughts, questions, and ideas.
Everyone is always welcome at meetings, and new energy and ideas are always appreciated! Meetings are once a month on Zoom. Join in and be a part of what's happening!
REMEMBER THOSE BOX TOPS!
Join us in earning CASH for our school by using the Box Tops app. It’s an easy way to make a difference. All you have to do is buy Box Tops participating products (like Cheerios!) and scan your grocery receipt. Box Tops are worth $.10 each and they add up fast! Twice a year, our school receives a check to help pay for whatever we need - equipment, supplies or experiences the kids love!
Download the Box Tops for Education app at your App Store or here: https://btfe.smart.link/c2jjdifkw?referral_code=VI7J42XS
SHAW'S REUSABLE GROCERY BAGS!
For the month of February 2021, the Orchard School PTO will receive a $1 donation from each purchase of the $2.50 reusable GIVE BACK WHERE IT COUNTS Bag at the Shaw's store located at Shaw's 570 Shelburne Rd, Burlington VT.
So, in February, be sure to shop at Shaw's and pick up this reusable grocery bag! You will be supporting our school!
Substitute Openings in the South Burlington School District
Are you looking to get more involved at your child’s school? Need a bit of extra income or additional work experience? Apply to substitute now for one or more of the following:
- Classroom Teacher (all subjects and all levels)
- Paraeducator or Interventionist
- School Nurse (RN) or Nurse Assistant (LPN) (Must have appropriate licensure and/or certifications)
- Food Preparation/Cook
- Bus Driver
All SBSD substitutes are required to undergo a criminal record check and be fingerprinted for a VT public school District.
Current Job Openings in the South Burlington School District
Seeking a career change? Feel like your skills and abilities aren’t recognized enough at your current job? Looking for a job where you’re on the same schedule as your kids?
We are seeking candidates for the following positions
- Bus Driver (CDL, Class B with passenger, air brakes, and school bus endorsement preferred, training may be available to the right candidates)
- On-call Second Shift Custodian
These positions will remain open until filled. For more details on open positions, visit www.schoolspring.com Keyword: South Burlington School District, or contact Karen Dantzscher, HR Director at 652-7256 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested candidates may apply through one of the following options:
1) Apply at www.schoolspring.com Keyword: South Burlington School District.
2) E-mail a current resume, cover letter, and 3 references to email@example.com . Please indicate which position(s) you are applying for.
Mail a current resume, cover letter, and 3 references to: South Burlington School District, Human Resources, 500 Dorset Street, South Burlington, VT 05403. Please indicate which position(s) you are applying for.