Welcome, Class of 2025!
Freshman Academy for the 2021-2022 School Year at:
THREE WEEKS LEFT in the grading period!
As we begin WEEK 4:
Ask your student to show you his or her grades on POWERSCHOOL! This is the FIRST time in their education that their grades count towards something--high school graduation! We encourage all of our students to score Cs or better! Get out track; stay on track! We are now looking at students who have been referred to us by their teachers for either behavior issues or academic grades. We are here to support you!
Makeup picture day for students who missed it during registration is September 22nd from 9:30am to 2:30pm in the Media Center.
Don't forget, our daily schedule is 845AM-330PM. We are SO excited to welcome you to CHHS!
MESSAGE FROM NURSE ASHLEY: Remember to prescreen your student in the morning and if you mark "yes" to any COVID symptoms, please contact Nurse Ashley (email below). Also, students who feel ill during the day must go the Health Office to be evaluated by the Nurse.
COVID : PLEASE READ
If your student requires a Covid -19 test it must be a Covid-19 PCR-NAAT test. Antigen/Rapid and at-home tests are not allowed and will not be accepted.
The Health Office does not run UCSD on site testing. Scheduling, Consents, Release of Information, UCSD MyChart sign up can all be completed on the District's website at https://www.sandiegounified.org/covid-19_status/c_o_v_i_d-19_testing
You can complete UCSD's Consent and Release of Information Forms via Docusign. These documents are required for testing. You only have to complete the documents one time. Link to Docusign: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OMvZIudh4Etd6toe3e8N4C863GfqxlVAJn8_k9BBCMg/edit
Weekly/routine testing is Thursday's from 8:30am - 4:30pm click here to schedule: https://covidtestscheduler.ucsd.edu/home/asym/SDUSerraHigh
You can schedule symptomatic testing here: https://covidtestscheduler.ucsd.edu/home/sym/SDUCanyonHills
Please note: Symptomatic testing is Thursday's from 10:00am-2:00pm. Those who are symptomatic are not allowed on campus; you must remain in your car. Symptomatic testing is done as a drive up in the North parking lot. Pull up along the curb and park near the Covid-19 testing sign at your scheduled appointment time and someone will be out to test you.
Need a Parent Portal Power School account to access your student's attendance, and grades? Email Teresa Roman-Avalos at email@example.com.
Finally, the district put out this guidebook for families returning to in person learning. There's a lot of great information here.
Are you signed up to follow The Principal's (Dr. Erica Renfree) Blog?
Every FRIDAY is Black and RED day--show your RATTLER PRIDE!
What is an "Academy"?
FRESHMAN ACADEMY HANDBOOK. Here's the electronic version of it!
- Welcome rally in the first few weeks of school!
- Learn about and create a 4-year plan to guide your high school journey!
- Begin your journey in one of our many career-themed academy programs with a cohort of students with similar interests!
- Recognition program for staying ON TRACK! (Think: Food, CHHS Swag, Prizes)
- Teams of teachers working together to support you.
- Upperclassmen support--these students gave up a week in their summer to learn how to support you!
- After school tutoring! "Scholar hour."
- You get your own Vice Principal!
- You get your own Counselor!
- You get your own Dean of Students!
- PASS (Plan for Achieving Students Success) Meetings to help get you back on track.
- Classrooms in the new building (after 10/1)! (It's amazing and brand new and it's almost ready for you.)
Class of 2025 Vice Principal, Counselor, and Dean of Students
You have a great team this year who can't wait to welcome you!
Ms. Elizabeth Ward is your Vice Principal. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mr. Nick Stewart is your Counselor. Contact him at email@example.com.
Mr. Joe Schmidt is your Dean Of Students. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We cannot wait to meet each and every one of you! Get rattled up!
9th grade Academy Teachers
English: Kate Amos, Rachel Brandel, Brittany Parrish, Devon Bakaly
Biology: Shannon Templeton, James Ross, Joe Galm, Madelyn Galm
Math: Marian Oberle, Kendra Gardner, Erin Sullivan, Victoria Rodriguez
Foreign Language (Spanish or ASL): Theresa Garnier, Sally Holbrook, Jon Cofinas, Gonzalo Ruiz
PE: Samantha Ferrari
Other CHHS people to know...
- Dr. Erica Renfree: CHHS Principal; email@example.com
- Transportation: Contact Georgina Palacio; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nicholas Willis: Class of 2023 and 2024 Vice Principal; email@example.com
- Ashley Martin: School Nurse; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sandy Westwood: Attendance Clerk; email@example.com
- Jonn Pisapia: Athletic Director; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Margarita Perez-Ibarra: Head Counselor; email@example.com
- Susan Skinner: 504 Coordinator; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Caroline Jackson: Special Education Dept. Chair/IEPs; email@example.com
- STARS Program Counselor: Jessica Deitchman; firstname.lastname@example.org
- ALL THINGS MILITARY--We have our own Military Family Life Counselor: Audrey Teshima; email@example.com
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
2. What time does school end? 330 every day.
3. What if I need to pick my son or daughter up early? Contact Sandy Westwood (above).
4. Are masks required outdoors? YES.
5. I need to arrange a parent meeting with my student's teachers. Who do I contact? Contact the teacher first, and then Nick Stewart, Class of 2025 Counselor.
6. My student needs a schedule change. We only do schedule changes for egregious errors (like if a student has two math classes in error). If your student, for example, has two math classes, or no period 3, then access this link to request a change.
7. Do teachers accept late work? Great question! Check out our Schoolwide Grading Policy--all CHHS Staff follows this.
What if I need to bring something to school for my child such as lunch or homework at home?
How do I contact my FRESHMAN's teacher?
- Every teacher has an email that he/she checks frequently. Feel free to email the teacher with questions or concerns. The teacher will respond within 24-48 hours.
- Access the CHHS Staff Directory here.
- Many teachers also utilize other ways to communicate with parents through classroom Google Classroom Canvas, and/or Remind. Your student's teacher will let you know the best way to communicate with them so that you get a timely response.
- If you have tried again and again with no response, feel free to contact Ms. Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Vice Principal for the Class of 2025)
HOMECOMING RATTLER FOOTBALL!
Friday, Sep. 24th, 6:30pm
5156 Santo Road
San Diego, CA
DO YOU HAVE AN AP CLASS?
NOTE: Usually freshmen do not have AP classes. If you do, this is for you! AP Human Geography? That is usually a class that 9th graders may enroll in.