Smartphones and People
Understanding Your Smartphone
Some people buy the “best” phone out there, and they do not even use it to its full potential. The phone they purchased may have amazing capabilities and features, but the person is only using it to text and play Angry Birds. A smartphone is more than just a device that allows people to call and text their friends. Smartphones are high-tech devices, and it is important to know how they work, what they are capable of, and how they affect society.
What are the main components of your smartphone?
- Processors- manages tasks and data between other electrical components of the phone
- Operating Systems- provides the whole user interface
- Memory- stores all of the phone's information and programs
- Input and Output Devices- the main input devices are the microphone and touch pad. The main output devices are the speakers and the screen
Our smartphones do so many things that we often overlook
- Smartphone GPS- as long as you are connected to the Internet, satellites have the ability to identify your coordinates. This is helpful when looking for directions. GPS can also be used to find family members. Smartphone GPS is so much better because the device is always with you, and new routes and traffic are always updated.
- VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol)- this is a fully digital phone service that allows you to use the Internet to make phone calls, send texts, and make video calls. Apps like Skype use VoIP.
- Synchronization- with the ability to synchronize, you can update the file and apps across different devices. You can sync data to your computer from your phone using a wired or wireless connection (Bluetooth). Now with mobile Internet, there are many apps you can download on your phone that have cloud support. If you add pictures to the cloud app, the pictures will be added across all of your devices with the same app. Dropbox is a very well known cloud supported app.
You Can Use Your Smartphone to be More Productive
- take notes and sync them to your laptop or tablet
- record lectures
- get access to websites for needed answers
- don't buy an expensive graphing calculator; just download an app
- manage schedules and due dates with apps tailored for students
- learn a completely new language or skill to improve yourself with many different apps
- make your website mobile friendly
- use social networking apps to interact with followers on the go and spread the word about your business
- manage your clients information using apps
- make and review notes and documents
- schedule appointments
- books airplane tickets and hotel rooms