Putting the "Chola" in Scholar!
CSIEME Re/Occupying & Re/Claiming Excellence in Academia!
Saturday, September 14, 2019, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Bennett Professional Development Center (BDC)
Dear CSIEME Students,
Hope you are well and having a GREAT summer!
We are writing to you to let you know about CSIEME's Putting the "Chola" in Scholar! day, to be held Saturday, September 14, 2019 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. in the Bennett Profession Development Center (BDC) on the UNLV campus. Breakfast and Lunch, as well as mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks will be provided! If you have any special dietary requests, please let us know as soon as possible and we will make every effort to accommodate you!
CSIEME's Putting the "Chola" in Scholar! day is a new comprehensive support activity for CSIEME program students. We have designed this activity based on CSIEME student feedback to us about our efficacy in meeting their personal/academic development needs as they progress through their programs of study. Accordingly, all incoming and current CSIEME program doctoral students are required to attend the entire CSIEME's Putting the "Chola" in Scholar! day. CSIEME program master's and certificate students who are considering pursuing a doctoral degree (in CSIEME, elsewhere at UNLV, or at another institution) are invited to attend, however all attendees must arrive by 9 a.m., participate fully throughout the day, and stay until 4 p.m.
During the 2018-2019 academic year, we held a series of nine Orientation and Benchmark sessions. These benchmark sessions focused on:
1) completing coursework;
2) preparing for, writing, and/or orally defending culminating experience papers or comprehensive/qualifying exams;
3) preparing for, writing, and orally defending the thesis or dissertation proposal in concert with securing IRB approval for the proposed study;
4) conducting research;
5) executing the thesis or dissertation study (data collection), and then completing and orally defending the final thesis or dissertation;
6) writing for publication; and
7) preparing for, interviewing for, and securing post-graduation employment.
We were fortunate to have Ms. Samantha Godbey, our Education Liaison Reference Librarian, develop a CSIEME Library Guide to support benchmark-specific information sharing at these sessions, and to join us to review the corresponding section of this guide at each session.
During the 2019-2020 academic year, we will continue to refer you to this guide (and to Samantha) for benchmark-related support resources, as well as to the other relevant resources we have compiled and posted to the "For Current Students" of the CSIEME website, but we will not hold the Orientation and Benchmark Sessions this year. Instead, CSIEME's Putting the "Chola" in Scholar! day is intended, in part, to provide some of the same information these sessions did, but in more "user-friendly" and, we hope, much more meaningfully effective ways, including through dialogic engagement with peers who have recently successfully completed each benchmark--including Ms. Yvonne Morris (coursework), Ms. Ebony Sherman (comprehensive examinations), Ms. Lindsay Russell (dissertation proposal and IRB approval), Dr. Kimberly Williams (dissertation), and Dr. Eddie Boucher (job search)--as well as with program graduates from over the last 10 years--including Dr. Sandra Candel (2017), Dr. Derric Carter (2019), Dr. Amanda VandeHei Carter (2014), Dr. Shahla Fayazpour (2017), Dr. Tara Plachowski (2019), Dr. Ravi Singh (2017), Dr. Tonya Walls (2017), and Dr. Kimberly Williams (2018).
CSIEME's Putting the "Chola" in Scholar! day will also provide opportunities for informal and formal:
1) personal, academic, activist, and professional information exchange;
2) femtorship/mentorship relationship development; and,
3) forbidden, critical, courageous conversation!
Please see the Putting the "Chola" in Scholar! Day-at-a-Glance posted below for additional details.
We are very much looking forward to re/connecting with each and all of you on CSIEME's Putting the "Chola" in Scholar! day (if not before). In the meantime, if you have any questions about the day that this communication has not answered, please let us know. Additionally, if there are particular topics/issues/concerns you want to be certain are included in the day's agenda, please share it with one of us via email. Finally, don't forget to RSVP using the link below.
Christine and Norma
Norma A. Marrun, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of CSIEME
Department of Teaching & Learning
College of Education
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Christine Clark, Ed.D.
Professor & Senior Scholar in Multicultural Education
Founding Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion
346A Carlson Education Building (CEB)
Department of Teaching and Learning
College of Education
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Parkway, Box #453005
Las Vegas, NV 89154.3005
702.895.3888 Office Telephone
702.895.2944 Office Facsimile
Putting the "Chola" in Scholar! Day-at-a-Glance!
- 8:30-9 a.m. Re/Connecting and Breaking the Fast
- 9-9:30 a.m. Honoring Each Other
- 9:30-10:45 a.m. CSIEME Happenings
- 10:45-11 a.m. Take Five and Revive!
- 11 a.m. -12:15 p.m. "Trust the Process" Reflective Exchange with CSIEME Students and Recent Graduates
- 12:15-1 p.m. CSIEME "In Lak'Ech" Table Talks Lunch
- 1-2:30 p.m. "If I Knew Then What I Know Now..." Critical Conversation with CSIEME Graduates
- 2:30-2:45 p.m. Breathe Deeply and Replenish!
- 2:45-3:30 p.m. Debriefing Dialogue
- 3:30-4 p.m. One Thing Closing
CSIEME Community Day
Saturday, Sep. 14th, 9am-4pm
Bennett Professional Development Center (BDC), University of Nevada Las Vegas
RSVPs are enabled for this event.