News from the Nest
August 17, 2018
Gearing Up for 2018-2019!
We hope you are soaking in these last few days of summer and your children are beginning to get excited for the start of school. This edition of News for the Nest will help you ease into the school year by getting an early jump on upcoming events and volunteer opportunities! Don't forget:
Tuesday, August 28: 1st day of school for Grades 1-5 and Kindergarten Orientation
Kindergarten Family Meet-and-Mingle
Kindergarten students and their families are invited to a get-together outside of Vernfield (by the school bus tour) between the Kindergarten Orientation sessions on Tuesday, August 28. This is a great opportunity to meet and mingle with other students and parents in your child's class. There will be games for the kids and light snacks for everyone.
Date: Tuesday 8/28
Times: 9:30-10:30 am and 1:30-2:30 pm
We hope to see you there!
Pod Parents Needed!
Parents are invited to sign up for various grades/time slots to work on these tasks for the teachers. Please look for the link to the sign up form on our Facebook page (COMING SOON!) or contact Steph Felton at email@example.com if you would like more information or may be interested in volunteering. Thank you!
Back to School Bash
PLEASE SIGN UP using this online google form by Tuesday, September 4! We need to know how much pizza to order!
If you have any questions, please contact Jen Scotti at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online Vernfield Calendar
Each online calendar app has slightly different instructions to link to a public calendar, but in general, you just open your calendar and add a new calendar using a URL (use the URL below). This is usually easier (or only possible by) using a computer rather than a phone app.
For a Google Calendar, look for a "+" symbol in the left menu above the list of "My Calendars". Choose to add the calendar from a URL and enter the URL below.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Kelly Cole at email@example.com.
Volunteering During the School Year - 'Hands Across the District'
At the beginning of each school year, Home & School asks that each parent fill out a 'Hands Across the District' form. This form lists the many ways in which parents can volunteer throughout the school year. This form includes homeroom socials! If you are interested at all or would like more information about a particular committee, please sign up! Signing up allows you to get emails regarding the committee/event, and there is no pressure to participate! A list of committees can be found on the Home & School website.
Volunteers can be grouped into two categories:
- Casual Volunteers (less than 10 hours per school year and works in the presence of a teacher/administrator with students).
- Program Volunteers (10 or more hours and may have unsupervised contact with students). This includes field trip chaperones.
Please review the details of each type of volunteer on the SASD Volunteer website and fill out the required forms. Program volunteers must also take a PPD skin test for tuberculosis (which can be done privately or by the school nurse). Please contact Mrs. Fox to make an appointment on 10/15, 10/16, or 10/17.
All volunteers must fill out the Registration and Disclosure Statement and return it to the office. This must be done each school year. There are also copies available in the Vernfield office.
Please note, Program Volunteers are required to renew these clearances every 60 months. If you would like to check your clearance status, please contact the Vernfield main office, 215-721-0606.
Easy Ways to Help Fundraise!
Please consider helping to raise funds for Home & School using the following:
- Giant A+ Rewards: earn money for VF while shopping at Giant! Go to https://giantfoodstores.com/ and Sign In or Register for an account (upper right corner). Click on My Account (upper right) and then Manage Your Account. Click on Rewards & Savings. Under A+ School Rewards, click Change School(s). The ID for Vernfield is 23581.
- Amazon Smile: earn money for VF while shopping on Amazon! Go to smile.amazon.com/about for instructions.
- Box Tops for Education: clip the 'Box Tops for Education' from participating boxes and labels! Send them to school with your child to be collected and counted. There is a contest among grades each year and the winning grade earns a prize! Go to www.boxtopsforeducation.com/earn for a complete list of participating products as well as information on the Box Tops Bonus app and Sweepstakes which can earn Vernfield even more!
- Box Tops Bonus App: Download the Box Tops Bonus App for your phone or tablet! Find offers, buy products, scan your receipt and earn even MORE box tops for Vernfield!
- ShopRite for My School: earn Box Tops for VF while shopping at ShopRite! Register your PricePlus club card at: https://shopriteformyschool.com/ register.
Thanks to the families who participated in these programs during the 2017-2018 school year! We earned:
- Giant A+ Rewards: $1467
- Amazon Smile: $163
- Box Tops: $1199