The Middle Kingdom
Neenah Primas: China Brochure
The head of government is Premier Ll Keqiang.
China has three main religions Buddhism,Confucianism and Taoism but has no main religion because it is a communist state.
Religions are family-oriented so they allow the practice or belief of several religions at the same time.
- Economic Systems
China is the worlds second largest economy behind the United States.
Exports electrical and machinery including data based processing equipment, apparel, radio, telephone and ect.
- Social Organization
Family is more important than the individual.
Elders are highly respected.
- Customs and Traditions
The largest festival in China is the Spring festival and it marks the beginning of the Lunar new year between January and mid February which is celebrated to honor their ancestors its a fifteen day celebration.
Greetings are formal and the oldest person is always greeted first.
- Arts and Literature
China has one of the oldest sporting cultures in the world.
China's art in greatly influenced by the country's rich spiritual and mystical history.
The official language is Mandarin.
There is 56 recognizable ethnic groups in China.
1. China is the third largest country in the world based on its area.
2.China mostly consists of plateau and mountains as in the Tibetan Plateau which leads into the Himalayan Mountains.
3.China is divided into three geographic regions: the mountains to the west, the various deserts and basins in the northeast and the low lying valleys and plains in the east.
4. The tallest mountain in the world Mount. Everest which stands 29,035 feet at it highest peak.
5.China is bordered by 14 countries
6.The rivers in China have a total length of 420,000 kilometers
7.The Yangzi River is the longest in China and third longest in the world.(shown in the picture above)
8.China boarders the East China Sea, Korea Bay, the Yellow Sea, and the South China Sea.
9.The natural resources are coal, iron ore, petroleum, natural gas, mercury, tin, tungsten, antimony, manganese, molybdenum, vanadium, magnetite, aluminum, lead, zinc, rare earth elements, uranium, hydropower potential.
10.The natural hazards in China are frequent typhoons, damaging floods, tsunamis, earthquakes and droughts.
The Great Wall of China
The Great Wall of China which is 4,000 miles long and about 35,000 miles adding the missing parts and other walls.
Mount Everest stands 29,035 at its highest point.
Geographical map of China
Data Base Questions
What is the largest city in China based on the bar graph below?
In the second image what is the political cartoon trying to tell you about China?
1. Has a communist government.
2. Has the largest population in the world.
3. Ranks second in the world for its economy.
4. Official language is Mandarin.
5. Has a very formal and hierarchical social structure that extends to business, institutional and family life.
6.The Chinese are strictly bound by protocol and so it is better to 'save face' by respecting and honoring the opinion of others, even if you believe what they are saying is incorrect, than to demand that others agree with your way of thinking.
7.Humility and respect are very important in Chinese culture.
8.Has a hundred plus cities over a million people.
9. Ranks fourth in size area in the world.
10. The common way to greet someone is with a slight bow.
1. Both have no official religion.
2. Both countries have a vast landscape, ranging from coastal areas to mountains to deserts.
3.Voting age is both 18.
4. Both are very advanced in technology.
5.Both are the biggest and successful in the world.
1.Has a democratic government.
2. Ranks fourth in population in the world.
3. Ranks first in the world in economy.
4. Has no official language.
5. Has a greater fluidity between groups with workers, managers, children and adults often making joint decisions and enjoying social occasions together.
6.American culture is much more direct with people being encouraged to debate contentious issues even if it leads to confrontation.
7.There are more gray areas with questions of morality being a matter for discussion as opposed to being set in stone.
8. Nine cities are over a million people.
9.Ranks third in area size in the world.
10. Common way to greet someone is with a handshake.
Map of the largest cities in China and the United States
Map of China and the United States comparing them in size
Shows on China and the United States work together in some ways