Cordata Elementary School
October 2018 Newsletter
Developing readers, writers and critical thinkers
- practicing routines - learning what it means to read independently, read with a buddy, and discuss reading with a group of classmates.
- learning to select good books to read - books that are exciting, inspiring, challenging, or just plain fun to read.
- learning to apply strategies for decoding words that they don't yet know, and to ask themselves questions about what they're reading.
- building their stamina to read longer and more challenging books.
- learning about the world around them as they think critically, and have meaningful conversations with other readers.
- building their vocabulary and their understanding of text that becomes a foundation for their writing.
One thing we know is that children become better readers the more they READ! That's why you'll hear Cordata teachers encouraging children to read at home. Set aside a regular time for your children to read each and every day. Snuggle up with library books together, or pick a book to read aloud before bed. Look up information to answer a question, or sink into a great story. If your family speaks a language other than English, we especially encourage you and your children to read in your home language, as this leads to stronger reading, writing and critical thinking skills in both or all of a child's languages! And if you're in need of a great book, our teachers and our librarian, Mrs. Feemster, are full of great recommendations!
Here's to a year full of learning, growing, and READING!
-Mrs. Ficklin, Principal
Parenting in a Positive Way
Our next three-session class is starting soon! This one will be presented in English, and the more parents we have joining in, the richer and conversation and the better the ideas! Please consider joining us! The class takes place Tuesdays, October 9, 16 and 23. Dinner is from 6:00-6:30, and the class runs from 6:30-8:30. Childcare is provided.
A note from our Garden Educator
Fall is such an exciting season in the garden: Kids are harvesting, seed-saving, and learning about different ways to build healthy soil. If you are interested in volunteering with fall gardening or winter cooking please contact: email@example.com. You are invited to the 9th Annual School Harvest Dinner, Thursday, October 25, 5-7pm at the Whatcom Middle School Cafeteria. For more information go to: https://commonthreadsfarm.org/harvestdinner/
Mark your calendars - UPCOMING DATES
- Oct. 5 - Pumpkin Fun Run sponsored by our PTA, 8:30-12:30
- Oct. 9, 16 and 23 - Parenting in a Positive Way class taught in English - Dinner at 6:00 pm, class from 6:30-8:30
- Oct 15 - MOD Pizza Restaurant Night Fundraiser sponsored by our PTA
- Oct. 19 - No school for students, teacher work day
- October 24-26 - 5th graders go to North Cascades Institute Mountain School
- Oct. 26 - Box Tops due for 1st class contest (popcorn party)
- Oct. 29 - Unity Mobile Dental Clinic will be at Cordata - watch for information and application to come home in early October
- Nov. 2 and Nov. 8 - Parent Teacher conferences. Watch for more info to come about scheduling.
- Nov. 12 - No school for students or staff in observance of Veterans Day
- Nov. 19 - General PTA Meeting, 5:30p Music Room with special guest Dr. Greg Baker and Margo our Common Threads Food Educator
- Nov. 30 - Family Glow Dance sponsored by our PTA, 6-7:30p Cordata gym
Cordata PTA News
Are you ready for the Pumpkin Fun Run?
Did you know that the dollars we raise through the Pumpkin Fun Run all go directly to supporting students at Cordata? The PTA designates this money for field trips for all grade levels, supporting our Cordata garden program and our partnership with Common Threads, teacher grants for special events and supplies, and this year we hope to add student yearbooks to that list!
Your children need your help to donate and collect pledges. Every dollar matters, and your pledges really add up to make a difference for Cordata kids! After the run on Friday laps will be counted for each student and a final lap count sheet will go home with students on Monday to help you determine how much to collect if a per lap pledge was done. After collecting pledges, help your child look over the prize page, pick out the prizes they most wish to win, and fill out the number of raffle tickets that corresponds to the dollars raised. Mrs. Ficklin will show you how it's done in this video!
Our Pumpkin Fun Run will happen the morning of Oct. 5, that's THIS FRIDAY from 8:30-12:30p! And pledges and raffle tickets will be due on Oct. 15 and we will do a live Facebook drawings of the lucky students that will win a prize sometime that week.
Pumpkin Fun Run Schedule & Class Colors
- 8:30-8:45 - morning PreK (Madden - yellow)
- 8:30-8:50 - Kindergarten (Hunsdale - Orange, McLeod - Green, Miller - Blue, Nigretto - Red)
- 9:00-9:35 - 4th grade (Bennett - Orange, Eldridge - Red, Gabrielson - Green)
- 9:45-10:25 - 5th grade (Essex - Blue, Giles - Red)
- 10:35-10:55 - 1st grade (Cramer - Green, Eckley - Purple, Friswold-Birney - Blue)
- 11:05-11:25 - 2nd grade (Bild- Green, McClellan - Blue, Reno - Orange)
- 11:35-11:50 - afternoon PreK (Madden - Orange)
- 12:00-12:30 - 3rd grade (Bishop - Green, Cueto - Blue, Dubel - Red)
Box Tops News
Top 4 things to remember when turning in your Box Tops:
- No need to trim (unless you really want to)
- Only non-expired Box Tops count towards the contest (we will still take expired ones if you turn them in because we do a contest with these later in the year)
- Use your reusable bag to turn in your Box Tops that way your name and teacher's name are already on there. If not make sure to clearly write your name and teacher's name to get credit on the bag/envelope.
- Drop off your bag/envelope into Box Tops mailbox near the office or in your class Box Tops folder.
Happy Clipping and remember each Box Tops is worth $.10 and it really adds up!
Restaurant Nights News
Thank you to all the families, Staff and Community friends who came out to Menchie's the weekend of Sept 14th-16th. Your support helped Cordata PTA earn a total profit of $55.31 from the $276.55 group sales total. Thank you again to all who came and this is a great start to go towards funding our Enrichment activities.
Upcoming Fundraiser at MOD PIZZA!
Join us on Monday, Oct 15th for some yummy food at MOD Pizza in Barkley Village anytime from 10:30am-10pm. Just mention that you are there to help support Cordata PTA and 20% of the proceeds will go towards funding yearbooks for students. https://www.groupraise.com/events/68685