April Student Services Newsletter
Welcome Mr. Myers!
Mr. Myers is coming to us from Hickory Ridge High School and is already fitting right in with the Trojan family!
Wednesday, April 13- 7:15 am
Topic: Advance Placement Courses
Saturday, April 23
Monday, May 2 - Friday, May 13
Exams at 8:00 and 12:00
April Coffee with the Counselors
Wednesday, April 13th, 7:15am
Trojan Media Center- NCHS
This month we will be discussing Advanced Placement courses. We will talk about the pros and cons of taking AP classes, who should sign up for them, and what students and parents can expect from the workload.
As always, feel free to bring your questions about AP classes or any topic! Those of you who attend regularly know we are always willing to talk about anything that is important to you!
Parents of rising 9th graders are welcome to attend!\
Coffee will be provided!
Parents of rising seniors: Time to start planning!
If your student is college-bound, it's time to start considering your options.
Below are some things that students may want to start considering now:
- Taking the SAT and/or ACT.
- Participating in volunteer work or summer enrichment opportunities. (Click this link to see a list of summer programs in our area/state http://www.cabarrus.k12.nc.us/Page/5061). It is worth noting that colleges prefer to see students truly invested in one or two clubs or volunteer endeavors instead of creating a long list of memberships without any real commitment involved.
- Consider which colleges will be good fit. I always encourage students to apply to at least one "dream school", if they can, even if it may be a bit of a stretch. That said, it is important that students consider their GPA and test scores to see if the schools they are considering admits many students with similar grades/scores. This data can be found for any school by visiting their webpage and searching for the "incoming freshman profile". Please note, this is often average data, not minimum requirements. Click this link to see an abbreviated version of incoming freshman profiles for the UNC system universities: http://www.cabarrus.k12.nc.us/Page/4971
- Get familiar with your CFNC.org account. Most students created a CFNC account in middle school, if not students should create an account now. Seriously parents, this one will help you A LOT! You can create your own parent profile to find tons of information on college planning and paying for college.
- Start a list of possible colleges and plan summer visits!
As I said, we are here to help. The counseling staff works tirelessly with students at the start of senior year to make sure they are getting those college applications in. These are just a few things that can make things run much smoother!
Also, NCHS is the only school in the county to have a College Adviser on staff. Joel Boone is here offer in depth support to students and parents (especially first generation college students). Make an appointment to meet with her! (email: Joel.Boone@cabarrus.k12.nc.us)