Late Fall Newsletter for Ludlow's Class of 2021
Order Your Grad Items
At a minimum, students must order their cap/gown/tassel through Jostens if they plan to participate in the graduation ceremony. They certainly offer a wide variety of other senior items, such as our school's official graduation announcements, graduation party items, and senior jewelry, and gear, which you are able to order. The basic cap/gown/tassel pack is $38.50.
Seniors, please keep in mind that your class will also design their own senior shirts/hoodies, which typically includes everyone's signature on it. These are NOT ordered through Jostens. We just remind you of that so you can budget accordingly. Jostens' senior gear is not Ludlow-specific.
If You are Planning for College, You Should Be Applying Now!
Some tips and reminders:
- You are applying as an incoming freshman
- You are an Undergraduate in college at this point (You have no college degree yet)
- You are planning to complete either a Bachelor's Degree (4 years) or an Associate's Degree (2 years).
- This is a formal document! Use correct capitalization, spelling, and grammar.
- Don't forget to list your Gateway college credit if you'll have any upon graduation.
- Be sure to save your account login details. Maybe put it in your phone for safe-keeping and easy access? You'll need it again.
- Once you've applied, be sure to REQUEST YOUR TRANSCRIPT to be sent through Naviance. Colleges will not process your application until they receive your transcript and application fee (if there is one). If you are in need of a fee waiver, please let Mrs. Johnson know by email. firstname.lastname@example.org
If You've Not Completed the FAFSA Yet, Try to By December 1
This step in the college process requires a parent's help, because it is heavily based on the parents' tax information. Students will file the 2021-2022 application, and tax information from 2019 will be used.
The student and one parent each need to create a FAFSA ID, which becomes an electronic signature on the FAFSA application.
Apply for Scholarships!
- Parents/Students should check with their employers, affiliated organizations, churches, banks, credit unions, and insurance agents to see if they offer scholarships to employees/members.
- Be sure you look at the Freshman Scholarship application to the colleges you are considering. Many have a separate application for this, so don't assume that your admission application will make you eligible for the college's scholarships.
- Seniors can build profiles and find scholarships that may apply to them on these search portals. You can do this in your Naviance account (login through Clever). Other sites: Fastweb.com, Scholarships.com, or StudentScholarships.org.
- KHEAA puts out a publication, Affording Higher Education, which lists scholarship opportunities by type of college, type of scholarship, and location. Spend a few minutes looking through this to see if any apply to you!
- Ludlow's Local School & Community Scholarships are released in the spring. You'll be notified when those applications are open.
- You should never pay a fee to submit a scholarship. Beware of scams!
This list will be updated as new scholarships are released, Simply click the scholarship name to take you to the application or information page:
- Panther Pride Scholarship for 2019-2020: Since these were not awarded last spring, current seniors can complete the application for their junior year; Deadline is Nov 24
- Burger King Scholars Program: Many $1,000 awards, with larger amounts possible; Must be a senior with a 2.5+ GPA, be involved in school/community activities, and plan to enroll in a 2- or 4-year college in the Fall of 2021; Deadline is December 15
- Equitable Excellence Scholarship: Many awards given, ranging from $2,500 to $25,000; Must be a well-rounded senior, who has a lot of volunteer service, and plans to attend a 2- or 4-year college in the Fall of 2021; Deadline is December 15
- Cincinnati Scholarship Foundation: This foundation houses hundreds of regional scholarships; With one application, they try to match you with ones in which you fit the criteria; Must attach your FAFSA report; Application will open in January; Deadline is April 30; ALL SENIORS should complete this one!