Black Child Legacy Campaign
Wednesday Weekly Blast
Sacramento Expungement Updates!
This is Nia MooreWeathers from Youth Forward and I wanted to contact you all with updates concerning the evolving Prop 64 expungement/petitioning process our coalition has been working on in cooperation with the Sacramento DA, Sacramento Public Defender's Office, Councilmember Jay Schenirer, DCHS, California Urban Partnership, Public Health Advocates, and several other local organizations...
Continued Partnership with CfA
- CfA programmers are developing/downloading proper software within the Sacramento IT Department so the PD's office can begin taking advantage of the expungement software to increase the amount of records being cleared
- We have identified an explicit need for a "physical product", file, or otherwise which demonstrates the record of a case being cleared; this concern arises from the court's process of judgement and the need for a paper trail or physical evidence
Expungement Clinic Network
- We are proposing to the City Council that an expungement clinic network be created via the Public Defenders Office
- The network would be comprised of a three prong local office, mobile, and online effort
- This would require 600 K in funding which would pay for the team of LRA's and one attorney, and any ansillary costs
- At the end of the year, we had requested that DOJ send the Sacramento DA a comprehensive list of every eligible case in Sacramento County that qualified for expungement
- At the moment, the DA has requested the 1250 cases be automatically dismissed as they are misdemeanor cases only (see attached letter below for more information)
We are looking to organize another meeting with the DA Office at this time so we can continue the fight, but due to the activity surrounding the Stephon Clark decision we may have to wait. In the meantime, please feel free to send along any questions you may have and I will do the best of my ability to answer said questions. Thank you!
New RFP for WIOA Youth Services in Sacramento County
Below is a web link with a notice of a new RFP for WIOA Youth Services in Sacramento County.
Please check it out!