Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1%

By Sydney Lambert, Chas Pedersen, and Joy Johnson

Who is the Audience?

The audience is the American people.

What's the point? (What's the thesis?)

While many of the old centers of inequality in Latin America, such as Brazil, have been stringing in recent years, rather successfully, to improve the plight of the poor and reduce gaps in income, America has allowed inequality to grow.

How do you know?

We know this is the thesis because it includes the counter claim, the claim, and sub claims. It is the last sentence of the first paragraph and it sets up the main idea for the article.

How was the Toulon Method used?

Claim - America has allowed inequality to grow.


Evidence - There is a great deal of evidence throughout the entire article but some specific examples include, one out of six Americans desiring a full time job are not able to get one, one out of seven Americans are on food stamps, youth unemployment is around 20 percent, the upper 1 percent of Americans are now taking in nearly a quarter of the nation's income every year.


Reasoning - The top 1 percent have the best houses, best educations, the best doctors, the best lifestyles, but there is one thing that money doesn't seem to have bought: an understanding that their fate is bound up with how the other 99 percent live.

What research is used?

He uses Citizens United case, words from Alexis de Tequeville, and knowledge from American Economists.