Judy Center News
ABOUT THE JUDY CENTER...
The Judy Center Early Learning Hub is a collaboration of many public and non-profit agencies in St. Mary’s County Maryland dedicated to providing comprehensive, community-based early learning services for children birth through kindergarten and their families in the Green Holly, George Washington Carver, and Lexington Park Elementary School zones. We believe that all children should enter school ready to learn and that families are the foundation for their children's school success. The Judy Center provides many learning opportunities and fun, free family activities to promote school readiness.
Collaboration and partnerships with the community lie at the heart of Maryland’s Judy Center Early Learning Hubs. Judy Centers are not childcare centers but a comprehensive hub where families can participate in family learning experiences and receive services and support. In Title I and high-needs elementary schools in every Maryland jurisdiction, Judy Centers empower a child’s first teachers- their families- by supporting child development and early learning skills for our youngest learners from birth through kindergarten.
Judy Center programming is developed with funds from the Maryland State Department of Education, Division of Early Childhood.
JUDY CENTER PLAYGROUPS...
Do you live in one of the three Judy Center school zones and are interested in attending playgroups with your little one birth-age five not yet in school? If you answered yes, reach out to the Judy Center for more information at 301-863-4068! Playgroups are held at all 3 Judy Center Early Learning Hub locations.
MARYLAND CHILD CARE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM INFORMATION...
Child Care Scholarship Program
Applying for a Child Care Scholarship is quicker and easier than ever! The Child Care Scholarship (CCS) (formerly known as Child Care Subsidy) program helps eligible families in Maryland pay for high-quality child care and early education programs. The program is managed through a centralized vendor -- Child Care Scholarship Central 2 (CCS Central 2).
SMCHD WIC PROGRAM INFORMATION...
Women, Infants & Children (WIC) Program - St. Mary's County Health Department
Women, Infants & Children (WIC) Program The Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program provides healthy supplemental foods and nutrition counseling for pregnant women, new mothers, infants and children under age 5. Learn more! Services WIC provides nutrition information, promotes breastfeeding, and provides vouchers for nutritious foods.
SMCHD STRONG BEGINNINGS PROGRAM INFORMATION...
SMCHD SCHOOL BASED HEALTH CENTERS...
SNAP ED. RECIPE OF THE MONTH...
Italian Baked Lasagna
Back to Recipes Italian Baked Lasagna 2 cloves garlic, chopped ½ onion, chopped 2 (16-ounce) jars low-sodium spaghetti sauce ½ teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning 1 package frozen spinach, thawed 2 eggs, beaten 2 cups low-fat, low sodium cottage cheese 1 pound no cook lasagna noodles 1 pound low-fat mozzarella cheese, grated ½ cup low-fat Parmesan cheese, grated Cooking oil spray Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
WALK SMC PROGRAM INFORMATION...
Walk SMC - St. Mary's County Health Department
Walking is a great way to get and stay fit. You do not need expensive equipment or special training. Walking can be done on your own schedule, at your own pace. Best of all, walking can help you shed those excess pounds that put you at risk for chronic diseases like heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.
CHECK THIS OUT...
- There are several Adult Education Programs available to Judy Center families through our partnership with the College of Southern Maryland! Get prepared for college, learn to speak English, and/or obtain a high school diploma. Classes are held throughout the county. Please call the College of Southern Maryland Adult Education Program at 301-934-7770 for more information. http://www.csmd.edu/programs-courses/non-credit/adult-basic-education/
- The Judy Center can help you with creating and fine-tuning your resume, interviewing skills, finding a job, and more! Give the Judy Center a call today for more information at 301-863-4068.
- The St. Mary's County Library offers several free events for children, adults, and teens each month. Check them out on the web at: www.stmalib.org. Something exciting is always happening at the library!
- The Judy Center staff can connect you with community resources, food pantries, and more year-round! Give the Judy Center a call today for more information at 301-863-4068.
- The Judy Center has a lending library with fun and engaging activities for families and childcare providers! Call the Judy Center to set up a time to come by and take a look! 301-863-4068.
FEED ST. MARY'S PROGRAM INFORMATION...
Feed St. Mary's is working to build partnerships with state and national networks of nutritional support, supplying resources to serve our community. Maryland Food Bank Existing Food Pantries and Soup Kitchens Click for an annotated Map showing pantry locations Currently serving St.
FARMER'S FEEDING ST. MARY'S...
Wendy Binkley, Judy Center Early Learning Hubs Coordinator
Kerrie Walzer, Judy Center Family Service Specialist, G.W. Carver
Freneta Carson, Judy Center Family Service Specialist, Green Holly
Iris Mumphrey, Judy Center Family Service Specialist, Green Holly/G.W. Carver
Aleya Armstead, Judy Center Family Service Specialist, Lexington Park
Anne Kirchner, Judy Center Early Childhood Liaison, G.W. Carver/Green Holly
Jennifer Hollingsworth, Judy Center Early Childhood Liaison, Lexington Park