February 2018 Newsletter
Skype a Scientist! 30-60 minute Q and A sessions between your students and a scientist in your field: https://www.skypeascientist.com/
Classroom Resources: There are some free ones or you can get a subscription.
Download SmartBoard on your personal computer or laptop! https://education.smarttech.com/products/notebook/download
A&P, Environmental, Biology Teachers Virtual Labs:
STEM Resources: http://darkeesc.org/science.htm
PASCO library link: https://www.pasco.com/digital-library/
It has several resource items. Included are online textbook links (FlexBook), PLIX, study guides, videos, readings, and practices. You can even search by your state standards.
Online Presentation Tools for Students:
It's getting close to that time of year: Soon you will be getting your chemical inventory and lab check-off sheets for the year. Please make sure that you complete these, have your principal sign them, and return the ORIGINALS to me. Thank you for your help with this.
Department Chair Meetings
Dates: 2nd Wednesday of each month (except February)
February 7; March 14; April 11; May 9
Focus: Best practices of individual schools; STEM; argument-driven inquiry; argumentative writing, incorporating the 5E's of science inquiry, and blended learning
Where: February meeting will be held at Linmoor Education Center, Room #21. We will have Cathy Holmes from O.D.E. there to answer your questions about the new standards and process. Please submit questions from your department teachers to Jenny before the meeting so that Cathy Holmes can come prepared to answer your specific questions.
Geri Granger will present the March Department Chair meeting. Jenny Nord will be working at the state's Model Curriculum Writing for Biology. It will be held at Spruce Run.
Biology AIR Resources
- If you did not attend the Fall PDs at Ft. Hayes, there is a PD for you on February 8th from 3:30-5:30 at Linmoor Education Center, room 21 to go over all the resources with you. Please sign up in CiMS and search for Resource Help for Biology AIR.
- Coming soon: information on updates to the biology curriculum
- Strategies have been applied to the released questions from 2016 and 2017. Check the biology google folder for these resources.
- Proficient PLDs have been unpacked for you. Check the biology google folder for these resources.
- Check the folder in Google Docs for all the resources we have created for you! Thank you to all the biology teachers who helped put together these resources. Please send me any lesson ideas you have to add to the unpacked PLD's so we can share them with all the biology teachers! https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iMTcxPo4gOpUTMXjzADNqCinN97THwxq
- CCS website - Departments - Science - Science Assessments - Biology AIR Resources
- 2017 Released Items: http://oh.portal.airast.org/ocba/(click on Practice Tests tab at right; sign in as Guest for grade 10; click on Start Biology Spr17 Released Items)
Questions about testing? Contact Cathy Holmes, Science Consultant, Ohio Department of Education
Spruce Run Nature Center
Office of Teaching and Learning (365-5297)
Sandee Donald, Executive Director
Sharee Wells, Director of Secondary Curriculum and Instruction
Heather Allen, K-5 Science Coordinator, email@example.com
Jennifer Nord, 6-12 Science Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Geri Granger, K-12 Spruce Run Coordinator, email@example.com