The Hot Zone
Alyssa Nilles-Pacleb, Questions 16-20
16. DESCRIBE THE ROLES PLAYED BY THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE IN THE HOT ZONE, AND EXPLAIN, IF IN YOUR OPINION, THEY ACTED RESPONSIBLY.
- Dalgard was irresponsible because he documented occurrences during the outbreak for later use, but he didn't take action to help his workers.
b. C.J. Peters (Director of USARMIID)
- Peters was in charge of keeping the public calm, but by doing this, he did not allow the public to know what was happening. This is irresponsible because
c. Nancy Jaxx (Veterinarian with cut palm exposed to monkey blood in level 4)
- Jaaxx was in charge of dissecting dead monkeys after they died to find their cause of death. She only used a bandaid to cover the cut on her hand, but thanks to the latex glove she was wearing, the malfunction of her external personal protective equipment did not end her life. She did the right thing to leave immediately and test to see if her glove was sealed by filling it with water.
d. Jerry Jaxx (responsible for monkey euthanasia)
- He was responsible because he checked his workers and made sure they were not ill before sending them to work
e. Nurse Mayinga (who in seeking treatment potentially exposed many people to her strain of Ebola)
- Nurse Mayinga was a person who did not accept that fact that she was infected even as she began to show early signs of Ebola. Infected, she traveled around her town infecting others and dies from a heart attack caused by the virus. She was very irresponsible for not only denying her own sickness, but for passing it on.
f. Researchers Peter Jahrling and Tom Geisbert (who whiffed the monkey tissue and chose not to disclose the information.
- These men are complete and utter idiots. Who in their right minds would smell Ebola. After doing this, they did not tell anyone like the imbeciles they were. Lmbo scientists my butt.