The Flow Of Food
ServSafe Chapter 5
- Receiving Storage
- Cleaning And Sanitizing
- Personal Hygiene
- Staff Training
- Recall Program
- HACCP program or other food safety system
Receiving And Inspecting : Key Drop Deliveries
- It is from an approved source
- It was placed in the correct storage location to maintain the required temperature.
- It was protected from contaminated in storage.
- It has not been contaminated.
- It is honestly presented
- Cold food - Receive cold TCS food such as the fish in the photo at left at 41 F (5 C) unless otherwise specified.
- Live Shellfish - Receive oysters, mussels, clams, and scallops at an air temperature of 45 F (7 C) and an internal temperature no greater than 50 F (10 C). Once received, the shellfish must be cooled to 41 F (5 C) or lower in the four hours.
- Shucked Shellfish - Receive at 45 F (7 C) or lower. Cool the shellfish to 41 F (5 C) or lower in the four hours.
- Milk- Receive at 45 F (7 C) or lower. Cool the milk to 41 F (5 C) or lower in four hours.
- Shell Eggs- Receive at an air temp of 45 F (7 C) or lower
- Hot Food- Receive hot TCS food at 135 F (57 C) or higher
- Frozen food- Frozen food should be frozen solid when received.
- Identify the food items use by or expiration date
- Store items with the earliest use by or expiration dates in front of items with later dates.
- Once shelved, use those items stored in front first.
- Throw out food that has passed its manufactures use-by or expiration date
- Clean dollies, carts, transporters and trays often.
- Store food in containers that have been cleaned and sanitized.
- Store dirty linens away from food. Store them in clean, nonabsorbent containers. They can also be stored in washable laundry.
Storage Order / Storage Location
- Whole cuts of beef and pork
- Ground meat and ground fish
- Locker rooms or dressing rooms
- Restroom or garbage rooms
- Mechanical rooms
- Under unshielded sewer lines or leaking water lines
- Under stairwells
3 Multiple Choice Questions
- Milk can be recieved at 45F (7C) under what condition ? It is cooled to 41F (5C) or lower.
- How long can TCS food that was prepped in house be stored ? 7 days
- What is the problem with storing raw ground beef above prepped salads ? Cross Contamination