the silent killer
Definition of Ovarian Cancer
Ovarian Cancer Video
Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer
People experiencing ovarian cancer may experience:
- Unusual periods or discharge
- Pain in the back, pelvis, abdominal region
- Weight loss/gain
& other similar symptoms
But these symptoms are common with many other diseases, so they aren't usually recognized as ovarian cancer.
Prevalence of Ovarian Cancer
Once the cancer is suspected, you can find it with several tests, including:
-ultrasounds and other types of imaging
-CA-125 assay (a blood test looking for bio markers that indicate the cancer)
Usually multiple tests are used together to diagnose ovarian cancer.
trying to diagnose ovarian cancer earlier
NPR Ovarian Cancer Clip
- having certain genetic mutations (particularly in the BRCA gene) or being descended from certain ethnic groups
- not having children or having trouble becoming pregnant
- being older
At the Molecular and cellular level...
Most ovarian cancer occurs in ovarian epithelial cells, particularly ones lining the ovary, but some ovarian cancer also occurs in stromal and germ cells within the ovary.
Treatments and cures
- remove the cancerous tissue in surgery (an entire ovary or two, often with the fallopian tubes and uterus as well)
- use chemotherapy to kill cancer cells that have moved out of the ovaries
- use radiation from x-rays to target specific areas of cancer cells
- target certain genes to stop the cancer- for example a the genes of blood vessels delivering blood to a tumor
- use hormone therapy by releasing hormones that block or change the body's response to something