Major League Second Grade News
Mrs. Moats' Class
Friday, March 18, 2016- A Week in Review
In the 4th quarter, reading logs will look different for second grade. After reading for 15 minutes, your student will need to write a sentence or two about what they just read. This will help with comprehension as well as preparing them for third grade. A summary is just a short idea retelling in your own words what you have read. It could sound something like this:
· Wilbur heard a voice inside the barn and was begging for its owner to show itself.
· Jack and Annie came upon a mummy while visiting a pyramid in Egypt.
· I read a poem about spring flowers. The poem made me excited about spring because I have flowers in my yard.
· Baseball caps are used to keep the sun out of the eyes of the players and to distinguish what team they play for.
Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the new reading log. We went over the new log in class this week so your student should know what to expect and how to do it! Let me know if you have questions.
What fun we have had this week discovering things about ourselves through poetry!!! We have seen every day objects in a new way to make us think about them differently. I have a classroom FULL of poets! The great thing about writing poetry is that there is no right or wrong way to write it, so all of our work is creative and perfect!
Here is our week in review:
Spelling/Word Work: *I can write words in alphabetical order. *I can make new words by adding letters or taking away letters.
Reading:*I can read and comprehend literature including stories and poetry. *I can read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension. *I can describe how words and phrases supply meaning in a poem. *I can record a poem using fluency and expression.
Writing: *I can look at everyday objects with poets eyes. *I can make my poems sound like music by using line breaks. *I can write a limerick.
Science/Social Studies: *I can understand that rules are made for the common good. *I know what might happen if we didn't have laws in the community and rules at school. *I can describe what a map is and why I would use one.
Math: *I can add 10 and subtract 10 from a given number and describe what part if the number is changing. *I can use > and < to compare numbers. *I can read and write 3-digit numbers. *I can use a place value model to represent and compare 3 digit numbers as 100's, 10's and 1's. *I can represent 2 and 3 digit numbers using expanded form.
March Character Trait-Trustworthy
A trustworthy person is someone who can be counted on.
Items for next week
- Spring Break Thursday, Friday and Monday. No homework or reading logs next week! Happy Spring!
- It's happened again! We are out of tissues and baby wipes. Any donations would be greatly appreciated.
- Summer School enrollment forms are due by April 8 if you are interested!
March 22- Notables Assembly
March 23 Brag Tag Assembly 10:00
March 24- Spring Break- NO SCHOOL
March 25- Spring Break- NO SCHOOL
March 28- Spring Break- NO SCHOOL
March 31- Family Game Night- 6-7:30pm @ North