K-12 Mobile Apps
Enhance Learning in the Classroom Through Mobile Apps
Picture Retrieved from: http://techtips-ccsd.blogspot.ca/2015/11/tuesday-tech-tip-socrative.html
- What is it? It is a website that allows students to complete their assessments using any internet-connected devices. Teachers can have instant insight into their students level of understanding through the use of instant feedback, result aggregation, and visualization. It supports the idea of mobile learning because teachers can engage with their students on any device or browser and can be high transactional or low transactional distance (at home or in the classroom).
- How can I use it? I can use this as a teacher to check my students knowledge prior to an exam. This allows me to use my class time better because I know what concepts I need to focus on and what the trouble areas are. For example, as a french teacher, before a test on "Les Temps" I can see that students need more work on plus-que-parfait that imparfait and passé compose.
Picture Retrieved from: https://www.google.com/drive/
- What is it? It is a service created by Google that allows users to store files in the cloud, share files, and edit documents, spreadsheets, and presentations with collaborators. You can store and access your files anywhere with Google Drive. This cloud computing app increases the opportunity for mobile learning.
- How can I use it? Embed a form on a teacher page requiring students to create a list of study terms. For example, as a biology teacher I may have my students create a terms list with definitions for the circulatory system. Another way that I can use google drive is for group projects or collaboration through mobile learning. Students can work on their French presentations together while they are home through their mobile devices.
Picture Retrieved from: http://blogs.cofc.edu/tlt/2013/10/02/poll-everywh...
- What is it? Poll Everywhere is a poll device that allows all students to be heard. Students can use their mobile devices and send a text message with their vote/answer or use twitter to do so. Poll Everywhere is an example of mobile learning because it can be done anywhere with the use of a mobile device. It allows learning and teaching to be done in unique ways.
- How can I use it? I can have my students vote for different ideas regarding the next unit. For example, if the students want to do collaborative group projects, or individual assignments. It also can be used to test students knowledge before tests and have them give me feedback on what concepts and topics need to be reviewed before an exam.
Picture Retrieved from: http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/mobile_apps/mobileApps.jsp
- What is it? It is an app for the iPhone that has fun quizzes for students to test themselves on the basic arithmetic functions. It is an app that can be used in the classroom by teachers and at home my the students to encourage learning outside the classroom. Learning outside the classroom was made possible through mobile learning.
- How can I use it? I can allow my students to play on this app once they have finished their work. This is a fun activity that rewards finishing your work while still improving their math skills. Students can also practice concepts they need more work on at home and engage in useful technology instead of solely video games.
Picture retrieved from: http://www.readingbear.org
- What is it? It is an app and website that teaches students a fun way to learn to read. The presentations teach them vocabulary and the main phonics rules. it teaches over 1,200 vocabulary words. It can be used at home or in the classroom making it part of mobile learning.
- How can I use it? This would be a good activity for teachers to use to see the reading levels of their students and also improve reading among the students. It allows students to move at their own pace making it inclusive for a wide range of learning needs. It could also be another activity that students get to work on once they've completed their assignment in English class.
Picture retrieved from https://evernote.com
- What is Evernote? Evernote is a modern workspace that works everywhere and allows individuals to stay productive. Students can write notes, checklists, and lengthy research findings. You have also collect photos, videos, and articles that you can access at all times. In addition, students can discuss and share their work with others and present it once it is finished.
- How can I use it? Evernote is a great tool for me to implement into my classroom and show my students because it teaches them organization and allows them to have everything in one place. Students can access and edit their work and projects at school, at home, or even at the bus stop. I would use Evernote for group projects on Aboriginal History that require collaboration where students can share their ideas, opinions, and findings.