St. Mary's Catholic School
School Start-Up Information : Aug. 23, 2022
Welcome back from all of us at St. Mary's!
Hello STMY Family! Can you believe that school is right around the corner? The office staff is back in the building and we are so excited to see all of you next week! Summer went by fast and here we are ready to begin a new school year! We have definitely missed our students and can't wait to see them back in school.
Here at St. Mary's we have been hard at work preparing for school start-up and have some important information to share with you and we would very much appreciate it, if you take some time to read this over carefully in advance of our staggered re-entry days.
Please send your child(ren) ONLY on their designated staggered entry day:
Date: Tuesday, August 30th
Student grades 7 - 9 (Jr. High Only)
Date: Wednesday, August 31st (This day is NOT early dismissal)
Student grades 10 - 12 (Sr. High Only)
Date: Thursday and Friday, September 1-2
Student grades 7 - 12
ALL Students Attend Regular Classes
-all students need to attend their designated day to align course selections and timetables as well as connect with their course teachers.
-all staggered entry days will be a full day for the students.
-during staggered entry, all students are asked to enter through the front doors
-please bring basic supplies such as a binder, pen, pencil,, and a bag lunch. It is essential for the students to bring their computers/Chromebooks on the first day as we will be utilizing a lot of digital resources and engaging students through google classroom.
- Students will be assigned a locker for the year on their staggered entry day. Returning students please remember to bring your school combination lock. Grade 7 and other New students will be given a school lock at registration (a $10 school fee will be administered to their PowerSchool account).
-any schedule changes will occur over the staggered entry and the first full week of school - thank you for your patience :)
- timetables will be given to each student during registration. Please note that Option choices have been scheduled based on option forms collected from last year. If these forms were not handed in then option choices may be limited.
EICS Division Theme: Better Together: "One Body in Christ"
- That Jesus Christ and his teachings are the foundation and core of our Catholic School division.
- That a quality education is a continuing process that develops the whole person in an environment which encourages success.
- That we live out the Catholic faith through our words, our actions and our interactions.
- That Catholic education is a shared responsibility between the home, the school, the parish and the community.
- That education is a lifelong journey during which excellence is actively pursued.
- That everyone has worth and dignity as a unique creation of God.
Romans 12:3-6 - For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us.
Demographic Confirmation Forms
The “EICS Demographic Confirmation Form” for the 2022-2023 school year, is now available for you to complete and submit, for each of your children attending an Elk Island Catholic School. The form is found online in your PowerSchool Parent Portal and you may have received an email regarding updating this info.
This form is a mandatory document and is required to be updated for every student each year, as it could greatly impact you with respect to the Canada Revenue Agency information and Immigration when they request validation of your information.
Alberta Education requires that we obtain a detailed update of student demographics on an annual basis. Funding they provide for your child's education is conditional to us receiving these updates and making them part of the student's record. We would appreciate you completing and submitting this form, for each of your children, as soon as possible.
Please contact our school secretary, Margaret Michaelchuk at 780-632-3934, if you have any questions or require assistance.
Also please let us know if there are any significant allergies that we need to be aware of in the school, especially for those students who are new to the building.
Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Athletic Club Volunteer Opportunity
Please be advised that the Athletic Club has an opportunity to volunteer/fundraise at the Annual Corn Maze that is held in Vegreville. We will be doing things such as moving/stacking bales, moving tires, helping with setting up some decorations as well as sorting through and organizing some prizes. The time commitment will depend on the number of volunteers that we have.
We would ask that the athletes be ready to help right after school on September 7th @ 2:00 pm (Early Dismissal) As well, please bring clothes that are ok to get dirty.
Please respond and let Mr. Murphy know during staggered entry to let us know your availability. Again, many hands make light work!
Tru Earth Fundraiser
The Tru Earth fundraiser is still running!
This is a really neat product offering! When you order a product, proceeds of the total sales value will go to the St. Mary's Education Society. You can feel good knowing you are purchasing products that help save the environment.
Mark Your Calendar
- August 29: Opening Day for EICS Staff - School Closed for Students
- August 30: Staggered Entry Day - Grade 7-9 Students at School
- August 31: Staggered Entry Day - Grade 10-12 Students at School
- Sept. 1: First Day of Regular school with ALL Students
- Sept. 5: Labour Day - School Closed for Students
- Sept. 7: Early Dismissal - School ends @ 2:00pm
- Sept. 7: Athletic Club Corn Maze Fundraiser - After School @ 2:00pm
- Sept. 15-17: EIAA Jr. High Volleyball Tournament
- Sept. 21: Meet the Staff Evening @ 4:30-6:30pm
- Sept. 21: Parent Council @ 6:30-7:30pm
- Sept. 23: Professional Development Day - School Closed for Students
- Sept. 27: School Picture Day
- Sept. 30: National Day for Truth and Reconciliation - School Closed for Students