News You Can Use
Questar III School Library System & Arts in Education
Welcome to the 2019-2020 School Year!
School Library System Director
Arts in Education Director
Odyssey of the Mind Regional Director
Copyright and Fair Use for Librarians, Educators and Administrators
Tuesday, Sep. 24th, 8:30am-3pm
10 Empire State Boulevard
This event is sponsored by the School Library System and is free to attendees.
Register by September 20th: http://bit.ly/copyrightSept19
Send questions for the presenter by September 10th: http://bit.ly/CopyrightPD19
Free Resources Available to All Students
- OverDrive is an ebook and audiobook resource for students at all grade levels and abilities. Help foster a culture of reading with this collection of titles available 24/7.
- TeachingBooks.net brings books to life with over 167,000 digital resources that enrich the reading experience with lesson plans, author interviews, and activities.
- Rosen Spotlight interactive ebooks focus on history, science, coding, and social and emotional learning and are a great resource for teachers in the classroom.
- NoodleTools promotes best research practices and inquiry learning. It features integrated tools for note-taking, outlining, citation, and collaborative research and writing.
- Newsbank provides access to America's Historical Newspapers (great for primary sources) and Access World News (daily news publications worldwide) and is a great resource for students in grades 6-12.
- NEW Rosen PowerKnowledge Science Suite consists of three databases for students in grades K-8. Students and teachers have access to Life Science, Earth and Space Science, and Physical Science.
Contact your librarian for access information.
Reimagined Information Fluency Continuum
Many of our professional development workshops this year will focus on the IFC. Our General Membership/Communication Coordinator Meeting (found in our Professional Learning Catalog) on October 22nd will be mostly devoted to showing librarians the revised document and how to begin to use it in every day practice. All librarians are encouraged to attend this training.
On December 4th, Barbara Stripling, creator of the IFC, will present at our SLS Regional Professional Learning Day. The sign up information for this workshop is also in the Professional Learning Catalog. Barbara will take participants deeper into the IFC and show them how to use the document to enhance student learning.
The Arts and Enrichment catalog provides excellent programming ideas for your school. There is something for every subject area and every grade level.
Meet the Artist Vendor Showcase
We use an electronic system for arts in education and exploratory enrichment program approvals. You may have seen emails coming in that ask you to approve programs. Please approve or deny programs as soon as possible so artists can be paid on time.