SVHS Green and Gold
Dr. Cohen/Mr. Smith's Newsletter to the SVHS Community
May 23, 2021- Edition
WE'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
WE'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! As we begin to welcome students and the community into Seneca Valley High School 2.0, we'd love to get feedback from you regarding your experience in our school. We aim to please you 100% of the time. However, if we fall short, we'd like to know so that we can improve. We will use the feedback you provide to congratulate successes of our staff and/or identify areas of growth. Please consider completing THIS brief form to provide us with your valuable feedback.
NEW: Note to the Class of 2021 and their Families:
Our 2021 graduation ceremony will be held in the Al Thomas Memorial Stadium at Seneca Valley High School on Monday, June 14, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. If there is inclement weather, the rain dates/times are Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. and Wednesday, June 16, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.
Earlier this week, the Montgomery County Council lifted all restrictions on capacity, activities, and business operations as of May 28, 2021. Therefore, we are pleased to announce that each senior will be allotted six (6) tickets for guests to attend the ceremony, instead of the previously announced two (2) tickets. Graduates do not need a ticket and guest names will no longer be collected.
The increased number is based on the size of our graduating class and the capacity of our stadium. Please note that each guest attending the graduation ceremony must have a ticket in order to enter. Children of all ages count as guests and must have a ticket to enter as well. Tickets for graduation will be distributed with caps and gowns during our materials collection and distribution days noted below. There is no need to complete another survey. Every graduate will receive six (6) tickets. We will not be redistributing any unused or unclaimed tickets.
Senior Cap & Gown Distribution
Students must pick up their caps, gowns, and tickets from the school auditorium on the following dates and times:
June 4 - 9 am - 3 pm
June 8 - 9 am - 3 pm
June 9 - 10 am - 12 pm
Other items such as cords and awards will be distributed as well.
Students who have paid all financial obligations and returned all materials, including Chromebooks, will receive their diplomas immediately following the graduation ceremony. Students who have not, will have their diplomas mailed once a plan for reconciling these obligations has been mutually agreed upon.
If you have any questions, please contact your class sponsors, Ms. Lee Ann Wolfe or Mr. Jonathan Main.
NEW: Senior Awards
NEW: Welcome to Storm, the Screaming Eagle!
NEW: This Week's Notes from the College & Career Center
This Week's Notes from the SVHS College & Career Center:
Senior Surveys & Final Transcripts
Have you filled out your senior survey yet?? We need ALL seniors to fill out the senior survey in Naviance ASAP!! For those who have college acceptances and scholarships, please add this information when filling out your survey!
You must complete this survey in order for us to know where to send your Final Transcript!
PLEASE NOTE: Final Transcripts will not be available until mid-July. We will send once we receive from MCPS.
College Signing Day 2021 - Seniors
In celebration of National College Signing Day 2021, we will be celebrating digitally! We are asking all seniors to share their plans for after high school!
Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
- May 21 - 2021 NAACP Scholarship Award - (deadline extended to May 21!) $1,000 awards; senior; res. of Montgomery County; min 3.0 GPA; extracurricular activities; must participate in faith-based, religious-based, or volunteer activities (if not possible due to paid employment, you can provide an explanation); 2 references; include the name of your current state Congress member and/or delegate (see link - click Lookup and enter your address); 300-word essay; 3-4 paragraph narrative essay about yourself; scholarships will be presented at the Annual Freedom Fund Dinner which will be held at Martins Crosswinds, Greenbelt, Maryland (date to be announced).
- May 21 - Delegate Alonzo T. Washington Scholarship - multiple awards of $200 or more; senior; MD residents only; attend a Maryland institution this fall; 2 letters of rec.; transcript; volunteer/community service; completed FAFSA; create a video essay.
- May 22 - B.Davis Scholarship - 1-$1,000 award; available to all high school juniors and seniors; write an essay of less than 1000 words on the topic: Describe the three characteristics of leadership you value most. Discuss why you believe that these traits are so important and how you feel that they are developed in an individual.
- May 28 - 2021 NAEHCY Scholarship - min. of 5-$1,000 awards; senior; under the age of 21 as of September 21, 2021; eligible for McKinney-Vento assistance or have experienced homelessness while in school within the last 6 years; actively pursuing post-secondary education; undocumented students who meet these criteria are eligible; essay (500-800 words); transcript; min. of one letter of recommendation; letter from an official confirming current or former homeless status.
- May 28 - Miss Utility/District One Call Scholarship Program - 1-$1,008.11 award for our area; senior; U.S. Citizen or resident; enroll in a two-year or four-year college, university or technical school; essay (500 words max); copy of transcript.
- May 31 - National Hazing Prevention Week Essay Competition - 1st Place-$500, 2nd-$250, 3rd-$150, and $50 honorable mention awards; 9-12 grade; U.S. Citizen or resident; submit a 500-600 word essay about hazing.
- May 31 - PB & J Scholarship - awards range from $500-$1,000; senior; for students who have experienced personal challenges that may not have allowed them to perform well academically, but who still have the drive to succeed; NO GPA requirement; essay; letters of recommendation.
- May 31 - Verizon Young Entrepreneur Scholarship - $1,000 award; senior; min 3.0 GPA; resident of Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Rhode Island; for business-minded students; must be accepted to an accredited college, university, or graduate program in the United States; submit either a 300–400 word essay or a 2–3 minute video answering one of three questions; transcript.
- May 31 - Jon H. Poteat Scholarship - 250-$1,000 awards; for current National Technical Honor Society Members who have not graduated; awarded to members who consistently exemplify the seven character attributes of the NTHS; no application, essay, OR letters of rec.!
- June 01 - Delegate Reznik Scholarship - one year award; senior; must be a resident of Maryland’s 39th Legislative District (click here to verify); must have filed the FAFSA; attend a school in Maryland; you may only use this scholarship at an out-of-state school if your major is not available at a Maryland school, the Office of Financial Aid must identify your major as “unique”; 2 essay questions; resume; transcript.
- June 01 - Herb Block Foundation Scholarship - up to $8,000 (or $16,000 over the life of the scholarship); senior; U.S. Citizen, resident Alien, DACA or Maryland Dream Act eligible; must attend Montgomery College in the fall; full or part-time; 'A' or 'B' students OR 'C' students that have shown improvement; demonstrate financial need and if eligible, must apply for FAFSA.
- June 12 - Abbott & Fenner Scholarship - open to juniors & seniors; submit a 500-1000 word essay describing your educational career and life goals.
Montgomery College Enrollment Information Session (Seniors)
Join us for general Montgomery College information for future students. Attend this session for general information about: the benefits of a Montgomery College education, academic programs and student services, how to apply and next steps, how to contact us if you have questions.
§ Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 7:00 p.m.
MCPS Electrical School-to-Apprenticeship - Virtual Student & Parent Information Session (Juniors)
Join a Highly-Skilled Workforce through an Employer Driven, “Learn-while-you earn” approach! Rising Grade 12 students are encouraged to apply and get an early start to Year 1 of the 4-Year Journeyman Training in Electricity.
§ Wednesday, May 26 from 6pm to 7pm
Class of 2022 - SVHS Rising Senior Meetings (Juniors)
Current juniors & parents/guardians are invited to attend one of these two identical, informational meetings to learn more about what to expect during senior year. Thursday, May 27 or Tuesday, June 8 from 6pm - 7pm. Click here for the flyer.
The following topics will be covered:
§ Next year’s course requests and/or schedule information
§ IB/AP and Dual Enrollment information
§ SAT/ACT information
§ Post-Secondary College & Career Opportunities
§ College Application Process
§ Naviance Information
§ NCAA, Financial Aid/Fee Waiver Information
Pre-College / Summer Program Opportunities
A pre-college summer program offers high school students the opportunity to take classes at a college and experience college life during the summer. Many programs offer a residential and commuter option. Students can stay in dorms with their peers, or they can commute from home if they live close to the college.
§ Summer Programs & Internships - List of summer programs and internships created by MCPS College & Career Information Coordinators.
§ Terp Young Scholars - Pre-College courses offered at the University of Maryland
NEW: IB Update
We Want to Hear from YOU!!
This parent survey is open to all and will be used to collect the data for the IB Diploma Program Self Study. The self study forms the basis of a school's evaluation process and helps to set the school's agenda for program growth over the next five years. Parents provide valuable feedback on the schools' philosophy and the implementation of the programme. Please complete by May 24th!
Look at the success of our current IB Diploma students!
- National Merit Scholarship Finalist
- Conway Scholar at Catholic University of America
- Multiple students heading to the University of Maryland
- One heading to UMBC
- One heading to the University of Virginia
- One heading to Virginia Tech
- One heading to the University of California Irvine
- One heading to Louisiana State University ($23K in scholarship each year)
IB DP students can enter college with numerous credits by taking IB courses and their assessments! In addition, they are poised for success once they arrive due to the development of essential academic and socioemotional skills as SVHS IB DP students.
Check out this article to learn more: Earn College Credit at US Colleges and Universities
Freshman Class Service Project
On Thursday morning, the Freshman Class Service Project officially ended with a donation drop-off of nearly 100 items to the UpCounty Hub @ BlackRock Performance Center. Thank you to everyone who spread the word and donated. Can’t wait to see what service project the Class of 2024 pick up next year.
REMINDER: Counselor LIVE Chat
Counselors are now available for live chat sessions EVERYDAY via Zoom. Please use your student's sign in credentials to access the session. Click HERE to access counselor's availability. *Please note that you may be required to wait briefly in the waiting room while the counselor is meeting with another parent and/or student."
REMINDER: Where do I go for help?
We are here to support you in any way that we can. for more information about who to go to for the most commonly asked questions, please visit this link. There you will find resources for the topics listed below. We will continue to add to this list as needs evolve.
- Community Resources
- Wellness Resources
- Student Support
- Class Sponsors
- Technology Reminders
- Ask Your Librarian
For spirit wear purchases:
Seneca Valley Online SPIRIT WEAR!!!
Seneca Valley is excited to offer online sales of the spirit wear we used to sell on-site (and more!) through our local vendor, VerTee Shirts. Check it out!
VerTee Shirts: https://svhs.spiritsale.com (T-shirts, sweatshirts, lounge pants, fleece jackets, and masks)
SVHS Spirit Wear can also be purchased at the following sites.
Want a SVHS License Plate? Please visit the School website for details. https://www2.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools//senecavalleyhs/about/ptsa/spiritsales/
Are you #SVPROUD?
- Tweet, Snap, IB, FB, etc., a pic of you repping "The Valley" by wearing your Seneca gear.
- And don't forget to use #svproud. Go Eagles!