Chemical Handling 101
The Basics: Know before you go...
1. Know your SDS!
- Double-check the identity of chemicals you will be using.
- Know where they are located and understand the information they contain.
Material Safety Data Sheet-www.safetyissimple.com
2. Wear the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)!
3. Treat all chemicals as if they are dangerous!
- Do not touch, taste or smell them!
- Use proper wafting technique.
- NEVER use mouth to pipet liquids!
4. Work in a well-ventilated area!
Use the fume hood when working with poisonous vapors and/or volatile substances.
5. TELL THE TEACHER IF A CHEMICAL SPILL OCCURS!
Do not attempt to clean up a chemical spill on your own. Tell the teacher immediately what was spilled.
6. Avoid contaminating chemicals!
- NEVER return unused chemicals to original container! Follow teacher instructions for proper waste disposal.
- Double-check waste label containers before adding waste.
7. Clean up your lab station!
With the exception of a chemical spill, clean all work areas at the end of your experiment.
8. PPE Does Not Make you Invincible!
- Wash your hands with soap AND water before you begin and after you finish experiment.
- If an accident occurs, know where to find and how to use safety shower, eye wash, fire blanket, fire extinguisher and first aid kit.