Gayton Elementary Family News and Updates
OCTOBER 1-6, 2023
Hi Gayton Families!
We just kicked off our American Heart Association Kids Heart Challenge for September 29-October 27 . Our kids are excited to make a difference! Thanks to Mary Anne Wright, PE Teacher, for coordinating this effort. Please see Letter and Thank You Gifts
We have lots going on this week!
Sunday October 1 from 1 to 2:30. PTA GAYTON GUARDIANS FAMILY FUN EVENT ON THE BLACKTOP AND PLAYGROUND. Bring the whole family for a round of Sunday afternoon Cornhole and other outdoor games! We will provide water and other treats! Wear your favorite football team jersey! There will also be a sign up for PTA/school volunteer opportunities.
Wednesday, October 4 FAMILY WALK TO SCHOOL DAY. Students who ordinarily ride the bus may walk to school with a parent/guardian today. PTA will have refreshments on blacktop while the Godwin pep band plays until the tardy bell rings.
Friday, October 6 PTA FAMILY MOVIE NIGHT ON THE FIELD! Students/parents should bring chairs and a picnic basket. There will also be food trucks. We will watch SING! This fun family movie ties in well with our school theme, Gators have star power!
Kirk Eggleston, Ed.D., Principal😀
October 9 School Holiday
October 10 K-5 Fire Safety Day. Henrico County Fire Department will work with all of our students!
October 17 School Photo Day
October 23-27 PTA Book Fair! This will be hosted in the library. More details forthcoming.
October 25 End of First Quarter
October 26 HallowSTEAM Night. This will be a fun event for students/parents/teachers to enjoy activities related to science, technology, engineering, art, and math. More details forthcoming. Students/parents/teachers may come in costume!
October 27 Student half day. End of American Heart Association fundraiser. Gator rally today. Rest of day clerical for teachers.
October 31. Book Character Day. Students can come dressed to school as their favorite book character.
October 30 – November 9 are parent conference days. Teachers will be scheduling evening conferences and daytime conferences on Nov. 7.
The Regency Mile School Competition
The Regency Mile School Competition. (click link for information)
This year’s event is taking place at Regency Square Mall on Sunday, October 29, 2023. Red Foundation is offering a youth mile, a parent’s mile, and a 400m express run for ages five and under. The event is open to special-needs athletes as well. Proceeds from the event will go to producing FREE fitness programs in local underserved neighborhoods.
To participate in this competition, students enter their school’s name when registering for the race (link available at www.livered.org/regency-mile).
FROM OUR PTA
Don’t forget to register on Membership Toolkit (MTK) on gaytonpta.com. This is the primary way the PTA communicates important updates. Room Parents also use Membership Toolkit to post to classroom message boards. It doesn’t cost anything to register for an account, but we’d love for you to become a PTA member while you are visiting the website!
Interested in volunteering in the cafeteria? Complete your online volunteer form (https://apps.raptortech.com/Apply/NTQ4ODplbi1VUw==). Sign up will be on MTK this weekend.
OTHER PTA LINKS:
Gator Bites (PTA newsletter)
Safety is Priority One!
- Only those students who are not assigned a bus are allowed to walk alone to/from school.
- Students assigned buses may walk to school if accompanied by a parent to/from.
- If you are picking up your child at the walker door, please do not arrive before 2:35. Students may still be on the playground at that time. Walkers will be dismissed at 2:40.
- Please do not park behind the school in Pine Run to pick up your child. You must use the carpool lane.
- If you drive your child to school in the morning, please seat him/her in the rear right seat. Do not exit the car; a staff member will assist your child from the car if needed.
- Please do not drop off your child before 7:50 or after 8:10.
- Please have your number posted prominently in your front window for PM dismissal only.
- Please be patient; the line may be long. It will go faster with each day.
- We encourage you to have your children ride the school bus.
- Buses are safe. This year most of our buses will have A/C and seatbelts.
- Please be patient; the first few days of school our buses will likely be late in the afternoon.
- Kindergarten bus riders-- please see information below.
- Make sure you inform your child's teacher which daycare he/she goes to after school..
- Daycare vans will take attendance before leaving Gayton.
- If your child is ever absent, please alert the daycare provider and the school.
What is Star Power?
Star Power is belonging to a community of learners.
Star Power is rising to high expectations.
Star Power is showing kindness and respect.
Star Power is honoring diversity.
Star Power is communicating and collaborating.
Star Power is problem solving.
Star Power is thinking outside the box.
Star Power is showing the best version of yourself.
Star Power is growing academically, socially, and emotionally.
Star Power is following directions.
Star Power is leading others.
Star Power is empowering vs. entitling.
Star Power is shining with individual and collective SUCCESS!
Below you will find our Parent/Student handbook, school website, and other important links.