York Junior High
November 2023 Edition
A Message from the Principal
We made it to November! The year is flying by. I hope this month brings you many blessings as we approach the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm excited about cooler weather, the upcoming holidays, and continuing to celebrate greatness with your children. Let's GO Grizzlies!
- Nov. 1-3: Early Voting continues
- Nov. 3: A/B Honor Roll Celebration during lunches (PTO surprises students with treats)
- Nov. 4: Choir Solo Concert
- Nov. 7: Election Day/ NO SCHOOL for students
- Nov. 10: PTO Meeting at 9:30 AM
- Nov. 11: UIL One-Act Play at The Woodlands High School
- Nov. 13: UIL Theater Performance at GOHS at 6:30 PM
- Nov. 14: CTE Career Fair at 6:00 PM
- Nov. 15: Woodson's Spirit Night (all day long)
- Nov. 20-24: Thanksgiving Holiday
- Nov. 30: Grizzlies for Greatness at 9:30 AM (invitation only)
- Dec. 1: Winter Dance, both grades, sponsored by Drill Team 7:00-9:00 PM
York Junior High Winter Dance (7th and 8th Graders)
York Junior High PTO Info
Early voting is underway! This week, polls are open extended hours from 7 AM-7 PM Monday-Friday. Look up early voting locations at elections.mctx.org. Learn more about Bond 2023 and the projects in your area at conroeisd.net/bond.
SEMESTER EXAM SCHEDULE!!!!
More Semester Exam Info....
All exams are taken on campus. What happens if your child is out of town or out sick? We will not allow anyone to take the exam early; however, your child can make up the test on another date, prior to January 4. We have a link that you can click to sign your child up for an exam they would miss. Be sure to refer to the Orange/Blue calendar (below) so you know which day your child is missing, and which period he/she needs to make up an exam. Here is the link if you already know for a fact that your child will miss, due to a prior commitment: Missed Exam Sign-Up
8th Grade 4-Year Plans!!!!
8th Grade Parents, it's hard to believe but it is time to begin helping your child think about high school. Our amazing counselor team is ready to help. Please take a look at this important document for more information: 4-Year Plan
A Message from Nurse Allie
November is spinal screening month! All 7th grade girls and 8th grade boys will be screened during school. Boys and girls are screened on separate days, privately, by the nurse. Girls will be screened November 9th, and boys will be screened November 10th. We ask that students being screened wear a thin shirt on the day of their screening. The screening itself takes only a few seconds. If you would like your child to be exempt for religious reasons, please submit an affidavit form to the clinic by November 6th. Questions? Call the clinic at 832-592-8614.
Stock the Shelves Food Drive
Student ID Tags
Starting in 7-12 grade, ALL students in CISD will be required to wear an ID badge. All incoming 7th graders and new students were given ID tags on August 21-23. Almost all of our students have received their badge. If they do not have one, please click HERE to request a new ID tag. We expect all of our students to wear them everyday, starting after Labor Day. If they lose their tag, the cost is $2 and you will be billed in School Cash Online.
Gifted and Talented Nominations
Referral requests are now open for Conroe Independent School District Gifted and Talented program. Although the testing will not take place until late January, referral requests are accepted at this time. Referral requests can be made by the parents and/or campus staff. If you are interested in referring your child, you may want to discuss this with your child’s teacher. Referrals will be accepted October 2- December 15, 2023. You may request a referral form from the front office or Ms. Melanie Vaughan, Assistant Principal. You can also find the referral form and other GT information on the CISD GT homepage.
Dress Code Reminders
- No crop tops may be worn by boys/girls and at no time should a child's midsection be showing.
- Shorts and skirts must be as close to mid thigh as possible.
- Jeans and pants must not be sagging below the waist.
- No sleepwear or pajamas. No slippers.
- No backless, strapless, or skinny spaghetti strap tops.
- No hats, except on special dress-up days.
The website is now "live" with information regarding school clubs. We are currently running a Broadcast Club, Board Game Club, Chess Club, FCA, NJHS, Research X, Stage Door Club, Student Council, Principal's Leadership Academy, Ultimate Frisbee, and a York Step Team. Interested in how to get involved? Interested in starting a new club? Check out all the information HERE.
- Students riding the bus will be dropped off in the back of the school. These students will then report to the cafeteria, if it is before 8:30 AM. If after 8:30 AM, they will go to first period.
- Students riding their bike may LOCK their bike in front of campus, at the bike racks.
- Car Riders- please have patience and be nice to your neighbors. Use the "zipper" approach (like at Chick Fil-A). One enters the front drive from the west side of Waterbend Cove, then the east side, and so forth and so on.
- Car Riders- we will allow "double stacking" of cars in both lanes to help more traffic flow on Waterbend Cove.
- Car Riders- follow the signage on the sidewalk and in the street. Pull all the way forward before dropping your child off from the passenger side.
- Car Riders and Walkers: Effective immediately, you may not park on Waterbend Cove to drop off your child. Please use the front car rider drive.
Orange/Blue Calendar 23-24
Below is the list for the 23-24 school supply list. You'll find that supply lists are different at the junior high level, rather than elementary/intermediate. We ask that each family provide their child with supplies that they will keep and use throughout the year. We also have a list of class supplies that we ask families to donate to help with items needed during the school day. Because times are tough for many of our families right now, the classroom supplies are optional. However, anything you are able to purchase will make a huge impact in the daily learning for your child. See the list below.
An Amazon Wish List has been made for those who want to purchase the Classroom Supplies, but don't want their child to carry them to class. Click the link below to be directed to Amazon, where materials may be purchased and shipped directly to York.
Cell Phone/Electronics Policy
Cell phones are allowed when students arrive and dismiss.
Students may use their phones during lunch.
Phones must be turned off and put away during hallway transitions, classroom instruction, restroom and locker room usage.
Click the link above to register for the bus and get transportation information!
Interested to know if your child is eligible to ride the bus? Want to know how to register your child for the bus? Click the link above (Conroe ISD Transportation Information) to learn everything you need to know about CISD Transportation.