Pratik Jog & Kali Magee
Bureau of Environmental Affairs
- Reduce harmful gas emissions
- Spread awareness
- fight deforestation
- Rachel Louise Carson was an American marine biologist and conservationist whose book Silent Spring sparked a revolution in the global environmental movement. “The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction.” - Rachel Carson
- Past president Theodore Roosevelt was an avid environmentalist. He starting the environmental protection agency (EPA) and starting the National Park system, the first park he established was Crater Lake National Park"The Bad Lands grade all the way from those that are almost rolling in character to those that are so fantastically broken in form and so bizarre in color as to seem hardly properly to belong to this earth." -Theodore Rooseve
Smog is a type of pollution, the term "smog" was coined by combining the word smoke and fog, smog is caused by vehicle emissions, coal, and photochemical pollution. Volcanoes can also cause smog when they erupt sulfur dioxide, but that is known as vog. Smog is harmful to the heart and lungs.
Fossil fuels are made by the natural decomposition of buried dead organisms. It takes millions of years for fossil fuels to form. Fossil fuels contain carbon, coal, petroleum, and natural gas.They are used as a major fuel for vehicles, generators and other machines, the emit carbon gases, which cause pollution.
Earth Day: Celebrated on April 20th. After witnessing a massive oil spill in 1969 in Santa Barbara, California, Senator Gaylord Nelson from Wisconsin, created earth day as a way to force the issue of toxic waste onto the national agenda. Although it didn't take off globally until 1990 after Denis Hayes organized a big campaign that influenced 200 million people in 141 countries and lifting environmental issues onto the world stage.
- EPA: The first Earth Day led to the creation of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the passage of the Clean Air, Clean Water, and Endangered Species Acts. EPA is an agency of the U.S. federal government which was created for the purpose of protecting human health and the environment by writing and enforcing regulations based on laws passed by Congress.
- Rachel Louise Carson was an American marine biologist and conservationist whose book Silent Spring sparked a revolution in the global environmental movement. Silent Spring sparked a revolution in the global environmental movement. Although Silent Spring was met with fierce opposition by chemical companies, it spurred a reversal in national pesticide policy, which led to a nationwide ban on DDT and other pesticides, and it inspired a grassroots environmental movement that led to the creation of the U.S.
What is the name of the first nature park established by Theodore Roosevelt?
- Yellowstone National Park
- Crater Lake National Park
- Platt National Park
- Grand Canyon
What was the name of Rachel Louise Carson's book, that sparked controversy?
- Under the Sea-wind
- The Sea Around Us
- Silent Spring
- The Sense of Wonder