January 8, 2022
DATES FOR YOUR CALENDAR
January 9 - School resumes
January 9-27 - NWEA Testing in classrooms
January 10 - 4:00-5:15 - Healthy Kids Club
January 13 - ½ Day for all K-12 students - 12:20 dismissal and Spirit Day - Wildwood Spirit - Pajama Day
January 16 - No School for Students
January 19 - 4:00-5:00 - 4th/5th Grade Cheer Practice - Art Room/East Hallway
4:00-5:30 - 4th/5th Boys Bball - Tinney Team
January 19 - CFCU Student Run Credit Union Deposit Day - AM
January 20 - Spirit Day - Wear Wildwood Wear, Red or Black shirt - show off your wolf spirit
January 23 - 4:00-5:30 - 4th/5th Boys Bball - Kuban Team
January 24 - 4:00-5:15 - Healthy Kids Club
January 25 - 4:00-5:00 - 4th/5th Grade Cheer Practice - Art Room/East Hallway
4:00-5:30 - 4th/5th Boys Bball - Tinney Team
January 27 - Spirit Day - National Geographic Day - Dress like your favorite favorite animal or country. Wear a t-shirt or whole outfit.
PBIS Reward Day - movie with popcorn (for those who have no office referrals and have earned 80% or higher green points)
4:00-5:00 - 4th/5th Boys Bball - Kuban Team
January 30 - March 3 - WIDA Testing (EL students only)
February 3 - Spirit Day - Pattern Day - Wear your brightest patterned clothing for a day of stripes, flowers, and mismatch fun.
60 Seconds in Wayne Westland
District Health Policies
The district has developed the following expectations and policies regarding communicable disease response and management. These policies are based on the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Document: Management of Communicable Diseases in Schools (May 2016).
The following are the parent and family expectations regarding communicable diseases in their students: Parents are expected to work cooperatively with the school to help to reduce or prevent incidence of illness among children and adults in school. The MDHHS (Michigan Department of Health and Human Services) recommends, and the district requests, that children stay home from school during any of the following conditions:
- COVID: If your child tests positive for COVID please contact me immediately to create a return to school timeline. The student must quarantine for 5 days at home from the onset of symptoms/test date. The onset of symptoms/test date is day 0. The student then can return to school, if symptoms have abated, but must wear a mast for the next 5 days.
- Fever: A child has a temperature of 100.4F taken by mouth or 99.4F taken under the arm. The child will be sent home. The child should not return until 24 hours of no fever, without the use of fever-reducing medications.
- Diarrhea: A child has loose or watery stools, even if there are no other signs of illness. The child will be sent home. The child should have no loose stools for 24 hours prior to returning to school.
- Vomiting: A child that is vomiting will be sent home. The child should have no vomiting episodes for 24 hours prior to returning to school. (Exception: a healthcare provider has determined that the vomiting is due to a noninfectious condition such as ulcer, anxiety, or pancreatitis)
- Strep Throat: Students should not return to school until 24 hours after the antimicrobial medications have been started.
- Impetigo: Students will be sent home at the first signs of illness and should not return to school until after being on medication for 24 hours and lesions are healing. Lesions should be covered until gone.
- Pink Eye: Students will be sent home at the first signs of illness and should not return to school until after being on medication for 24 hours.
- Ringworm: Students will be sent home at the first signs of illness and should not return to school until after being on medication for 24 hours and lesions are healing. Lesions should be covered until gone.
- Head Lice: Students should avoid head-to-head contact during the day; do not share personal items, such as hats, combs; parents should inspect their child’s head frequently. Students with live lice may stay in school until the end of the day; immediate treatment at home is advised; office staff will check the child’s head the next day and communicate with the parent as to if live lice or nits are still evident.
- Parents are expected to keep children up-to-date on vaccinations and provide documentation of vaccinations, or waivers of non-vaccination, to the school district.
Wildwood Wear Ordering
Wildwood Wear is available to order in a variety of colors and sizes from AKA Sports. The link is open year round and all orders are delivered to the school for free. Orders are completed in 1-2 weeks from submission.
Families can preorder the yearbook at www.ybpay.com
Yearbook ID Code is: 14561923
All preorders are done online. A small quantity will be ordered for sale during the last week of school, but reserve your copy now to guarantee your book.
Basic yearbooks are $15.00 with package options that range from $17.00-$24.50.
Drop Off and Pick Up Reminders:
Parking Lot Etiquette: A request and friendly reminder to take your time, be alert, and go slowly when in the parking lot. We have wonderful and dedicated staff and parent volunteers who assist with the parking lot every day at the three crossing zones as well as opening car doors. A few reminders:
- If you are walking your student into the building please park in a designated parking spot and use one of the three designated crosswalks to access the sidewalk.
- All students being dropped off by vehicle should be dropped off to a Wildwood staff or volunteer at the north end of the building, near the flagpole, where your vehicle door will be open and your student can climb out. You MUST stay in the drop off line (between the cones and the sidewalk. NO cutting in line at the curve to exit the parking lot and cutting off drivers.)
- There is to be ABSOLUTELY no dropping off students in the center lane. This is dangerous to students and the staff/volunteers who have to dart into traffic to escort them to the sidewalk.
- Make sure your child is ready to exit the vehicle as soon as the door is opened. All books, water bottles, and materials should be packed in the bag and all kisses and hugs already given.
- As you drive to and through the crosswalk areas please move slowly and watch for the staff and volunteers with stop signs and yellow vests who will pause the drop off line to allow families to cross. You MUST stop and wait when directed.
- If you are interested in volunteering and assisting with the drop off process, or if you have any concerns, please feel free to send me a ClassDojo or email message anytime.
Pick Up Times: Wildwood staff asks that, unless there is a family emergency or a doctor’s appointment you have already alerted staff to, that you refrain from picking up your child between 3:30 and 4:00pm when school dismisses. This is a critical time for classrooms to get in their final clean up routines, finish lessons, and prepare for the end of the day. It is incredibly disruptive to classrooms to call for students to come to the office for pick ups in these final moments of the day.
Handicapped Parking Spots: A friendly reminder that you must have an appropriate parking tag to park in the handicapped spots nearest the front door. Anyone parking in those spots without a tag can be ticketed.
Wildwood Family Handbook: Please take time to review the family handbooks for specific items that pertain to your child’s day.
Student Code of Conduct: District information
Wildwood Community Google Calendar - Stay in the know for upcoming events by syncing the school calendar with yours. The Wildwood Community Calendar will list all events that are occurring during the school year and is updated regularly.
Family Resource Center: The FRC can help with resource numbers and referrals, essential need assistance, emergency toiletries, socks, underwear, laundry assistance, food assistance, and more for those unable to afford it! Call 734-419-2709 or FRC@wwcsd.net
Wildwood PTO: If you are interested in assisting the PTO in their endeavors or have questions you can reach out to the board at WildwoodWolfPTO@gmail.com
Ways to Support the PTO:
- Can/Bottle Drive - bins are outside of the front doors of Wildwood where cleaned bottles can be deposited anytime.
- Amazon - when shopping on Amazon please use www.smile.amazon.com and link your account with Wildwood Elementary PTO - Westland, MI. 0.5% of every purchase will be given to the PTO.
- Box Tops - Clip any Box Tops you find on grocery items as well as scan your receipts with the Box Top app. Every Box Top is worth $0.10 and every dime counts. If you do not want to download the app you can drop off clipped box tops and receipts to me, at Wildwood, any Monday or Wednesday 7am-4pm.
- Kroger Community Rewards - Do you have a Kroger Card? Have you linked your card to Wildwood yet?
- If not please go to: https://www.kroger.com/i/community/community-rewards
- Log into your account and click on the link in the “Link your Card to an Organization” section.
- When asked for an organization, type Wildwood Elementary School and select the school.
- Then every time you shop the Wildwood PTO earns money awarded quarterly by Kroger up to $300 per quarter.
Wildwood Storytime Tales: Click on the link and save it as a favorite then listen to a story or five a day.
Emergency Information Guide for the district
Parent Portal: View NWEA scores, attendance, report cards, update contact info.
Chain of Command: How to Effectively Communicate with School and District Staff
School Approved Websites to use on the iPad or Chromebook
Browse photo galleries of topics like biomes, animals, weather, space, seasons, and Native Americans.
Videos about history, science, animals, people, places, and more!
Like YouTube but for students and teachers.
Watch, Know, Learn: http://www.watchknowlearn.org
Free educational videos for students. Drill down by subject or use the search box.
Britannica School: http://school.eb.com/levels/elementary/browse/media
Explore media in a variety of topics!
Social Media Concerns
Students SHOULD immediately notify a school staff member or a trusted adult if they become aware of any potential threat posted to social media or anywhere else. Students can also use the confidential Ok2Say tip line by;
Calling 8-555-OK2SAY (855-565-2729)
Texting 652729 (OK2SAY)
Secretary - Marcia Johnston
Attendance Line - 734-419-2799
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/wildwoodwolves/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/wildwoodwolves/
Twitter - @wildwood_wolves