Definition and Responsibilities
Fashion Designer - One who designs clothes.
- Sketch rough and detailed drawings of apparel or accessories, and write specifications such as color schemes, construction, material types, and accessory requirements.
- Attend fashion shows and review garment magazines and manuals in order to gather information about fashion trends and consumer preferences.
- Identify target markets for designs, looking at factors such as age, gender, and socioeconomic status.
- Sew together sections of material to form mockups or samples of garments or articles, using sewing equipment.
- Direct and coordinate workers involved in drawing and cutting patterns and constructing samples or finished garments.
- Draw patterns for articles designed; then cut patterns, and cut material according to patterns, using measuring instruments and scissors.
Achieving Goal #1
I plan to obtain knowledge about a fashion career and the basics of fashion illustration through reputable websites, well-known books, and informational videos. I also plan to work closely with someone within the field to guide me through my professional sketch and tell me what I specifically need to include in my sketch.
Achieving Goal #2
I plan to have my mentor guide me through the making of my sketch by closely watching me and helping me develop my sewing / garment making skills.
Achieving Goal #3
I plan to create a professional social media account to post my sketches and ask for constructive criticism.