Fun in Fourth Grade
A Newsletter About Our Fantastic 4th Grade "Chastain-ians"
Heartfelt Thanks & Shout Outs
Congratulations to Felicity C. who has reached her one-million-word goal! Well done, super reader! Thank you so much, Jeanine Brown for assisting with math this week. We appreciate your time!
My Princess and Me Dance
English Language Arts
- Students will be introduced to five new Greek & Latin Roots during Unit 4 this week. Practice Packets will be due on Friday. Students will be tested on Unit 3 and 4 roots on Friday, 2/4.
- Students will be working on Spelling City List #10 this week. Students should complete all activities by Friday in preparation for the spelling test that will be given that day in class.
- Students will begin drafting their first opinion essay in class next week.
- After much preparation, we will launch our literature circle discussions next week. Students self select books and are put in groups based on their similar interest in reading the same book. Using depth and complexity icon prompts, students read the assigned section and develop questions to bring to the discussion. This rich unit enables students to dig deeper through discussion and addresses speaking and listening standards.
- We will be comparing and contrasting similar ideas in non-fiction and fiction texts.
- We have begun using operations with fractions and mixed numbers. IXL strands that correlate to this unit of study include: R.1-R.12 + T.1-T.10. I anticipate the chapter test for this unit will be during the week of 2/8.
Coming up, we will launch our earth science unit exploring how natural processes shape the surface of the earth and the ensuing effect on humans. Some of the essential questions that will be explored next week include: How can we see evidence of changes in the earth over time? What story of the earth can rocks and fossils tell us?
Check out Ms. Jackson's website to see what's currently happening in art.
Photos from Age of Sail
Academic Talent Search Testing
Westlake will be offering Academic Talent Search testing for those interested in signing up for the ATS summer classes with CSU Sacramento. Forms will be sent home this week and should be returned no later than Feb. 5th. The test will be proctored Feb. 25th from 4-5pm for 4th grade on the Del Paso Campus in room N1.
For more information about ATS, parents can visit their website at www.csus.edu/coe/ats
Message from Girls on the Run Coordinators
We are very excited to announce that registration is open for the Spring 2016 season of Girls on the Run. Westlake will once again have a team this season and we can’t wait to get started.
The Mission of Girls on the Run is as follows: “We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.”
The girls that participate will meet twice a week to do activities and to start training to complete a 5K right here in Natomas. Practices begin on February 22nd and will be at the Del Paso Campus from 4:30-6:00pm.
Registration is open until February 19th. The registration is $165 and scholarships are available for qualifying families. For more information about this program, please go to www.gotrsac.org or contact one of the coaches:
We hope to see you out there!
- February 3 at 6:30 p.m. on Del Paso Campus: WAVE Astronomy Night (Rescheduled)
- February 5: GATE referral forms due
- February 5: Due date for ATS testing
- February 6: My Princess and Me Dance at 6 p.m.
- February 8, 9, 12: NWEA Testing for Chastain-ians
- February 12: Talent Show in NP3 Gym
- February 15-19: Presidents' Week Break
- March 3 from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. on Del Paso Campus: Parents Go to School Night
- March 4: End of Trimester Accelerated Reader Goal Due
- March 11: End of 2nd Trimester
- March 16-18: Parent Teacher Conferences (Early dismissal)
- March 21-April 1: Spring Break