It has its dangers but also its benifits
Forced Marriage is..
Forced marriage is a marriage in which one or both of the parties is married without his or her consent or against his or her will
- Women/Men can be forced into physically and mentally uncomfortable situations
- Person forced into marriage may enter deep depression
- A lot of time ends in death of one or both sides of the marriage
- Can compromise persons social and family lives
- If not done so may bring shame upon family
- Can end up getting raped and abused throughout time with husband
- People being forced to marry can have a large age diffrence
- Can offer money and wealth to family in poverty
- Can bring you closer to your heritage
- Will offer protection to family
- Will ensure blood line continues
Laws Against Forced Marriage
- In UK forcing marriage carries a seven year term in jail
- The US government considers forced marriage to be human rights and child abuse
- Australia- The Commonwealth Criminal Code Act 1995 (the Criminal Code) contains offences regarding forced marriage. It is illegal to cause a person to enter a forced marriage, and to be a party to a forced marriage.
Iran's View On Forced Marriage
- Young girls can be forced to marry before they reach puberty
- Man can have up to 4 wives
- Men can have unlimited amounts of temporary wives
- Women have no right to divorce or retain custody of children
Afghanistan's View On Forced Marriage
- Afghan women are beaten, raped, forced to cook, and forced to clean
- recently people have been burning themselves to death to escape forced marriage
- Women can not get married under sixteen nut most that are forced to marry are children
- Eradication has forced parents to force children to marry traffickers/ drug smugglers or be killed
Forced Marriage in the USA
- Only 10 states have specific laws that can be used to prevent forced marriage
- You have to have judge approval if under 16 to be married
- People 17 year old can get married if parents sign marriage licence
- Death threats
- In some countries it is tradition for your parents to choose your spouse if you don't want them to sometimes they will use force
- Some times people were told they would be taken some place safely but instead they were forced to marry or be killed
- Eradication and drug smugglers
How Does It Affect Families/Realitives
- Some times the family is okay with because they are the ones encouraging it
- Other times families/realitives are heart broken because there child was forced to do that or die
Why Does It Occur?
- It occurs because of...
- Death Threats
Ainsworth-Vincze, Cameron. "The tragedy of forced marriage." Maclean's 23 Nov. 2009: 33. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 9 Dec. 2015.
Bride being forced to marry with handcuffs. Digital image. Www.anashell.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Dec. 2015. <http://anashell.com/anashell/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Forced-marriage.jpg>.
Brownback, Sam. "Iran Violates Women's Rights." Rogue Nations. Ed. Louise Gerdes. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2006. Opposing Viewpoints. Rpt. from "Speech on the Floor of the United States Senate."
2005. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 9 Dec. 2015.
Cowood, Fiona. ""I Was Raped on My Wedding Night"" Cosmopolitan. 2015 Hearst Magazines UK, 16 June 2014. Web. 14 Dec. 2015.
Dugin, Emily. "Forced Marriage: One British Woman's Story Shows How Much It Matters to Step up the Fight." The Independent. Independent Digital News and Media, 17 July 2015. Web. 10 Dec. 2015. <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/forced-marriage-i-just-want-to-test-you-for-my-brother-and-see-if-youre-good-enough-10397972.html#gallery>.
"For Rohingya, Fear and Forced Marriages." NYTimes.com Video Collection 2015. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 8 Dec. 2015.
"Forced Marriage." Forced Marriage. N.p., 29 July 2015. Web. 14 Dec. 2015. <http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/forced.html>.
Newspaper article about forced marriage. Digital image. Www.worldview.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Dec. 2015. <http://www.worldview.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Forced_Marriage_UnitIMG.jpg>.
Opium Brides. 2012. Www.pbs.org. WGBH Educational Foundation, 3 Jan. 2012. Web. 8 Dec. 2015.
Reiss, Fraidy. "America’s Child-Marriage Problem." The New York Times. The New York Times, 13 Oct. 2015. Web. 10 Dec. 2015. <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/opinion/americas-child-marriage-problem.html?_r=0>.