Mrs. Cervera's Weekly Newsletter
It's a Great Day to be a Hawk!
May 1 - May 5
Weekly Specials Rotation
Tuesday - Art
Wednesday - Music
Thursday - P.E. / Library
Friday - Art
Please make sure that your child wears appropriate shoes on P.E. days, and wears or brings a jacket for cooler days when they may go outside.
LIBRARY NIGHT IS MONDAY, MAY 1ST....PLEASE COME AND JOIN US
Class Announcements & Reminders
- The official last day of school will be on May 19th. This includes the 2 make-up snow days. This will be an Early Release Day.
- If you would like to donate $2.00 for Ms. Windell's party, please send it in an envelope marked "Thank-you Party". TURN IN DONATIONS BY THIS FRIDAY. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
- Field day is on Friday, May 12th. Please make sure that your child wears appropriate clothing and shoes for the day. Sunscreen is a must. Students may either bring their own lunch or buy a sack lunch from the cafeteria. You may send in a towel and a change of clothes/shoes in case your child gets too wet. They are miserably cold when they are wet and come back in to the air conditioning.
- Save the Date! On May 1st, the second grade teachers are hosting a night out at the public library. We will be at the McClay Library from 6:00 - 7:30 (Open house - come & go) to show the kids what the library has to offer. PLEASE SAVE THE DATE AND PLAN ON ATTENDING!
Curriculum Corner- What are we doing this week?
Reading Topic - Sand, Soil, & Rocks - Think Like a Scientist!
Writing - Research / Main Idea & Details
Spelling - Week 31 Spelling
- Please bring a snack every day. No candy or sugary liquids will be allowed in class.
- Due to possible food allergies, please talk with your children about NOT SHARING THEIR SNACKS with peers. This is a district-wide policy to keep all children safe. I keep plain Cheerios in the classroom for kids who forget a snack and will pass those out as long as the child does not have an allergy to those ingredients. Often kids bring in snacks in Ziploc bags and ingredients are not listed, therefore they cannot be shared. It is so sweet that they are concerned about a friend without a snack.
- Birthday Treat Policy: I know many parents will send in treats for the class to enjoy. Please remember that all treats must be store bought and in the original packaging so that I can check for allergy information. Cookie cakes can only be sent in if they are pre-cut at home and ready to serve. Birthday treats must be delivered to the office and the office staff will deliver them to the classroom at the appropriate time unless the treat fits in the child's backpack.
- My preferred method of communication with parents is through email. This is because I only have one time during the day to return phone calls when kids are not in the classroom. Emails are quick and easy to respond to even if the kids are here. I will, however, be glad to take your call, but please understand that I may not be able to get back to you until the following school day if I have a meeting during my planning period. During the school day, all phone calls to the classroom are forwarded to voice mail. Please call the office if you have an emergency message that needs to be given to your child.
This year at Harvest Ridge, we will be utilizing a Positive Behavior Support System. Students will have lessons on behavior expectations. They will be encouraged to interact positively with others. Papers called Harvey High Fives will be handed out for good behaviors that go above and beyond our daily expectations. Copies of the High Five they earned will go home that day. Just because your child does not receive a High Five every day does not mean they had a bad day. There will be plenty of opportunities throughout the school year to earn them. The amount of Harvey High Fives received will be kept track of in the classroom. When your child earns 3 they get a pencil, 6 – an eraser, 9- a pencil grip or pencil topper, 12- a highlighter, 15- a pen, 18- a notebook, and 21- lunch with the principal, teacher, and parents are invited too. Our class can also earn hawk feathers for demonstrating good behavior as a class. Once we earn 10 feathers, the class gets a prize.