Sunset Weekly Newsletter
October 10, 2019
Parent Teacher Conferences TONIGHT
Parent Teacher conferences are here. We have some scheduled this evening from 4:00PM -8:00PM. We also have conferences scheduled Tuesday, Oct 15th from 4:00PM -8:00PM.
If you have not scheduled a conference yet please reach out to your students teacher.
The BOOK FAIR will be open tonight during conferences in the library!
Congratulations to our Sunset Teacher of the Year - Crystal Henson!!!
- Ms. Henson has taught Kindergarten and 1st Grade at Sunset for the past 4 and a half years!
- She is the technology guru on her TEAM!
- She is quiet and shy around adults, but her leadership on her TEAM and her Confidence in her classroom are unmatched!
- She has high expectations for her students and for herself.
- Ms. Henson has a great sense of humor and she always has a smile and a hug for anyone who needs one!
- She has a beautiful family and her daughter is pursuing a degree in education at UCO!
- Ms. Henson has a huge heart and loves our Sunset students like her own!
Congratulations, Crystal! We are proud to have you represent our school!
Reading with your child
Fall Break and Teacher Professional Day
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule
- Read 20 minutes a day and discuss what they read (Who did what?)
- Work on Sight Words
- Work on math facts (addition, subtraction, and/or multiplication)
- Cook or Bake together using a recipe
- Write about their day and draw a picture to illustrate
- Take a trip to the Public Library
- Go on a walk and observe things in nature - write about your walk
- Write sight words on your driveway with chalk
- If you are traveling, have them write about their trip
- Buy a disposable camera and take pictures - develop them and write captions for them
- Write a story
- Dump out some change and count it
- Practice making change
- Tell time on an analog clock
- Draw a picture and write a story about it
Have fun and enjoy your Fall Break!
Safety in the Mornings
If you are walking your child to class in the morning you will not be allowed in the building after 8:25 AM. If you are still in the cafeteria at 8:25 you WILL be asked to come to the office to sign in and get a visitor badge. This is for the safety of all students and staff. We must know who is in the building at all times once the main doors are locked at 8:25 AM.
Also, be mindful that the cafeteria closes at 8:20. If you are bringing your child to school and want them to eat breakfast and be on time for Morning Meeting, they need to be at school by 8:10 at the latest. If they are arriving at 8:15 and still need to eat, they are often tardy to class.
Finally, we are going to begin changing our morning procedure for safety purposes. Parents can walk students into the cafeteria, but will not be allowed to walk them to class or any other part of the building. We must establish a procedure from 7:55 - 8:20 to keep everyone safe! We have teachers on duty all throughout the building so please start thinking about your morning procedure and how you can help us with this new process. Thank you!
Congratulations to 5th grader Mekhi!
Parking and pickup
Text Message Updates
Did you miss the opt-in invitation to receive text messages about school cancellations, safety alerts and more? If so, text the words "opt in" (NO HYPHEN)
to shortcode 67587. Make sure your phone number is on file with Infinite Campus or you will not receive text messages. For frequently asked questions about this service, go to https://edmondschools.net/parents-students/communication/
October Dates to Remember
Oct 10th - Parent Teacher Conferences 4:30-8:00 PM
Oct 15th - Parent Teacher Conferences 4:30-8:00 PM
Oct 17th -21st - Fall Break
Oct 24th - Report Cards go out
Oct 25th - Ice Cream Sales $1.00
Oct 28th -Nov 1st - Red Ribbon Week
Oct 31st - VOCABULARY PARADE - 2:00
Nov 1st - Pep Assembly - Fall Carnival 6:00 PM