Ms. Thornquest & Ms. Houston
Welcome to Liberty Middle School!
The purpose of this course is to provide instruction that enables students to acquire and use strategies and skills to enhance their independence as learners in educational and community settings. Students in this class will work to build study skills, time management and organizational skills, social skills and self advocacy. This is presented as a supplemental class that will help students succeed in all areas of academics.
Key Instructional Strategies
· WICOR (Writing to Learn, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading to Learn)
· Cornell Notes
· Socratic Seminars
· Tutorials: In-school tutoring system
· Organizational Skills/ Google Binders
- Team/ Character Building
OUR DIGITAL CLASSROOM
Classroom Expectations and Consequences
- Be prompt and prepared.
- No food, gum, or candy.
- Listen and follow directions.
- Stay on task.
- Use digital devises at the appropriate time.
- Raise your hand if you have a question or a need.
- Respect students and classroom social contract.
- Follow all school rules
Students are expected to follow all classroom and school rules. Rules broken will result in a verbal warning, teacher detention and/or parent contact, and when necessary an administrative referral.
- Google Drive Binder: Students will be keeping a Google Drive Binder for all core classes to be checked in the learning strategies classroom. Students will need to access the Google Drive Binder every day. The Google Drive Binder will be graded every week.
- Bell Work: Will be completed daily. It will involve several things that revolve around our WICOR strategies. Bell work will be graded weekly.
- Class Work: Students will complete class work using Edmodo and their Google Drive Binder.
- Homework: Students will be assigned when necessary as a support to their core classes.
MS. TIERNEY HOUSTON
6th-8th grade Learning Strategies
I have been working in education for eight years. I have a strong passion for educating youth and feel as if I was destined to teach. I obtained my Bachelor of Science in Communicative Disorders from UCF (Go Knights!) then went on to work on my Master’s Degree in Exceptional Student Education. Through my years of experience I have learned that every child is capable of extraordinary things. I am here to motivate and inspire a love for learning in every child I encounter!
MS. SARAH THORNQUEST
6th Grade AVID
6th-8th Grade Learning Strategies
I am a graduate of both the University of Central Florida, where I received a bachelors degree in Physical Education, and Florida State University, where I continued my education earning my Masters Degree. This is my 5th year teaching with all previous years being here at Liberty Middle School. I coach the girls volleyball and girls track team here at Liberty as well as Special Olympics.
In my spare time I enjoy reading, running, college football and spending time with my very energetic dog Lola.