Week of June 6th
New advisors - I've been thinking about you! I hope your students are filling out their surveys and reaching out to get to know you. Let me know if I can offer support during this initial introductory time with them as you start to test your "advisor wings" with the questions coming your way.
Veteran advisors - I'm happy to say the next two weeks should bring a little down time to relax, regroup and prep for fall registration. Take advantage of this time to do what you need to do for yourself before the student communication picks up again in July and August.
My regards to each of you, L
NEW FIRST YEAR ADVISORS
1. Review the answer key to the Handbook CFU check here to make sure you have the right information.
2. Review the training scenarios and send Liz confirmation when you've worked through them <by June 15th>
3. Connect with your mentor <by June 15th>
RETURNING FIRST YEAR ADVISORS
1. Work on your vision <due July 1st>
SECOND YEAR ADVISORS
1. Work on your vision <due July 1st>
2. Review the list (in JHBox) to see what students actually completed the Portfolio Confirmation Form for fall. If you have students that you thought were taking portfolio this fall, please reach out ASAP. (More info below)
1. Complete the Program Orientation <by August 1st> Details below.
SECOND YEAR ADVISORS --
- Summer course dates: For your reference the dates of the summer session are listed here:
June 1 – July 12: Summer Session 1
July 18 – August 2: Summer Session 2
- Portfolio: The confirmation form is closed. The list I've attached has all the students that indicated they will start this fall. If you have students that missed the deadline but want to enroll in portfolio in the fall, talk with them to ensure they understand that deadlines will be key and then collect info on the grade and subject they are teaching and the time zone they're in. Then email it to Katherine requesting they be added to the list. The only way they get in is through you.
RELATED TO ALL ADVISORS --
- June office hours: Here are my office hours for the rest of the month. You will see them in the dates below too. Call in information: (712) 770-4010 x281470
Monday, June 13th: 1:30-2:30pm ET
Wednesday, June 22nd: 4-5pm ET
Tuesday, June 28th: 3-4pm ET
- Student Flags: As we wait for Starfish to come online, Sagirah is tracking student flags in a spreadsheet. If you have flags on students you would like to have recorded with the program, please email them to Sagirah at firstname.lastname@example.org. Flags can be for anything that seems alarming - i.e. professionalism, violation of academic conduct, difficult situation at their school or in their personal life, someone that seems require substantially more time than others, etc.
- Liz OOO Tuesday/Wednesday: I had the honor of spending Saturday in Phoenix with our new Hawaii students and Sunday in Houston with the new corps members attending institute there, but now I'm pretty beat. I'm going to take Tuesday and Wednesday as comp days for working the weekend, so I won't be online much. I'm here if you need me though. I'll check email a couple times a day and you can always reach me on my cell - 443-602-5220. Thanks for your understanding!
- Program Orientation: I would like all advisors to complete the program orientation before August 1st so you know what the new students are getting and in general so you have all the context we want students to have. It should take 2-3 hours to complete. Please take the quiz at the end so I can track completion.
- Go to https://blackboard.jhu.edu
- Log in with your JHED ID and password
- Click on the Community tab in the top menu bar
- Find MS in Ed Orientation in the My Organizations box
Advisee Facing Items
- Second year folks: Make sure folks are paying off their tuition so they won't have holds when they try to register.
- First year folks: Make sure students are working on the orientation.
- Job opportunities: One of our instructors, Phyllis Lerner, has been working closely with Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda. They have two open positions that may be really wonderful for some of our current or soon-to-be graduates and/or your colleagues, friends, etc. with flexible schedules. The positions run from Dec 2016-Dec 2017. The two job descriptions can be found here.