Harris County Alerts
Tuesday, November 17, 2015
Tornado Watch Issued for Harris County until 4:00 p.m.
What is the danger?
A Tornado Watch has been issued for Harris County until 4:00 p.m. today.
A tornado watch means that conditions are favorable for the development of funnel clouds.
What you need to do:
Tornadoes can form with little or no warning. Residents should take the following steps:
- Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or to commercial radio or television newscasts for the latest information. In any emergency, always listen to the instructions given by local emergency management officials.
- Be alert to changing weather conditions. Look for approaching storms.
- Look for the following danger signs:
- Dark, often greenish sky
- Large hail
- A large, dark, low-lying cloud (particularly if rotating)
- Loud roar, similar to a freight train.
- If you see approaching storms or any of the danger signs, be prepared to take shelter immediately.
- In the event of a tornado, take shelter on the lowest possible floor of your home or office, preferably in a windowless room.
- If you are outdoors, look for a low-lying, flat location.
Where you can learn more:
National Weather Service: www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx
Tornado Safety: www.ready.gov/tornadoes