Weekly Newsletter - January 9, 2020
celebrating 25 years of excellence in catholic education
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Joseph and Mary have made it to the stable and have welcomed the birth of Jesus!
Theme for the Year: Goodness
Our Mission and Vision Statements
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a safe and prayerful learning environment, enveloped by an intimate community of active and faithful families.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Fort Worth are committed to opening the doors so that our students can reach further than the walls that would otherwise enclose them and therefore are able to recognize and cherish the eternal and transcendental goods of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.
From the Principal
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
I hope everyone had a truly delightful Christmas Break. It was so wonderful to see everyone back on campus this past Monday. Students were very excited to see one another again. Smiles were everywhere!
Our week began with the Epiphany Prayer Service and baby goods collection for the St. Gabriel Project. Both speak to this month's virtue of GRATITUDE. We are so very grateful for our Savior's birth. It is with gratitude for all we have been given that we bring items for mothers in need. This was a beautiful way to embrace the Virtue of Gratitude. What other ways can you and your family embrace this month's virtue? Personally, I am looking for something for which to be grateful each and every day. I do not have to look very hard for I am surrounded by love and kindness, challenges and contemplation daily. All for which I am grateful. Every experience has something to teach me. I must only be open to accept each experience with grace and humility. Only then, will I be able to learn. One thing I know for certain, God loves us all and wants what is best for us all.
This month we celebrate Catholic education with our annual Open House event on January 26th, which kicks off Catholic Schools Week 2020. We look forward to seeing you at the event! During the week, we also look forward to celebrating everyone who contributes to the Truth, Beauty, and Goodness that is a Catholic education. Go, Knights!
In Christ's service,
Diane Price, M.Ed.L.
Goodness Bible Verse for January
saintly quote to ponder
The secret of happiness is to live moment by moment and to thank God for all that He, in His goodness, sends to us day after day. - St. Gianna Molla
Latin and greek roots challenge
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- 2nd Quarter Report Cards - Emailed to families on Friday, January 10th.
- Garage Sale Drop-off - Friday, January 10th. Help support the Class of 2020! Please see image below for details.
- HSA Spirit Night - Tuesday, January 14th at Panera Bread on 4000 S. Cooper St. from 4:00PM to 8:00PM. Be sure to tell them you are with SJCS and a portion of the money you spend will come back to the school . Thank you!
- "Meet the Artist" Art Exhibition - Wednesday, January 15th beginning at 6:00PM in the school library. Come see all the beautiful pieces of art in honor of Mother Mary in the show titled: ARTE MARIA: The Art of Mary.
- HSA Meeting - January 15th at 7:00PM.
- If you are an Amazon customer, please use Amazon Smile! We receive a donation from Amazon when you shop. Go to: smile.amazon.com to participate. It is a very easy way to support the school! Thank you!
- If you know a St. Joseph Catholic School alumni, please let them know we are looking to stay in contact, and would love to hear how they are doing. See the notice in our alumni section of below.
Save the Date
Catholic Schools Week - Open House, January 26th from 11:00AM to 3:00PM
"Quest For excellence"
Annual Fund Campaign
Home and School Association (HSA)
- Upcoming HSA Spirit Night - January 14th at Panera Bread. Please see the details below. Hope you can make it!
- Our next Home and School Association (HSA) Meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 15th at 7:00 pm in the school cafeteria, with "Meet the Artist" in the library, beginning at 6:00 pm. We hope you can attend!
- The children of HSA Members who have paid their dues to join, and are able to attend the monthly meetings, are allowed to wear any SJCS spirit shirt purchased through the school with blue jeans and tennis shoes of their choice to school on the Thursday after the meeting!
HSA Spirit Night Contest
This year we are having a Spirit Night Contest!
The class that has the most attendance for Spirit Nights will win an ICE CREAM Sundae Party!
Each teacher will be given an envelope to keep the receipts and it is easy to participate!
Three Easy Steps:
1. Attend a Spirit Night
2. Save your receipt
3. Turn the receipt in to your teacher (if multiple students turn in their receipt to one teacher, be sure to write all the students' names on the receipt)
Knights in Action!
Monday Morning Prayer Service
Celebrating the Epiphany
Moments Around Campus
Third grade created spiral snakes in art this week. Art coming to life!
Do Re Mi
In music this week, fourth grade learned how to do Do Re Mi Solfege hand signs as a new way to learn the staff. More formally known as the Kodaly Method. Then, it was time to pull out the recorders. Way to go, Knights!
Eighth Grade worked on a creative lab in science which measured speed, velocity, and acceleration. Nice way to use the cafeteria space!
Do Re Mi
Kindergarten made good use of indoor recess by using their imagination to build a very tall tower! Bravo!
Is there a doctor in the house?
Second grade reviewed the use of contractions by "operating" on them today. The students loved pretending and learning. Nice work, Knights!
Annual "Elf Me" Contest
NJHS Gives Back
In the Library
Research and Citing
Third Grade students completed part of their Saint Project research and practiced citing print and electronic sources in the library this week. Well done, Knights!
| || |
Displays Around Campus
Storage Building and GreenHouse Update
Newly Updated STREAM Wish list
STREAM Enrichment would love to have these items donated for your children's use.
Popsicle sticks (big and small) (colored and plain)
Meet our Dominican Sisters!
Meet our parish priests!
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish
- Be sure to look into FORMED.org. The parish has paid for your subscription to this vast library of inspiring videos and essential reads to help grow your faith. Just go straight to the "Enter Code" button and enter 4BDX9H to begin the process. You may also access this through the parish website link below. Enjoy!
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is occurring after daily Mass in the Chapel until 5:45pm. Come spend some time with our Lord.
- Please enjoy this link to a lovely article in the North Texas Catholic about the pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Fr. Kelley: https://t.co/3ItrotxIyf
"Alpha" at St. Joseph Parish
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth link:
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.