Samuel Mickle School
Family Summer Updates - August 15, 2022
Hello Mickle School Families!
We hope you are doing well and sure hope you are taking some time to enjoy the pleasures of summer! Here at Mickle, the school team is working hard to prepare for our school opening next month and our staff is gearing up for another great year...we miss your children! While we have a few weeks before we welcome our students back to school on September 6th, below are a few summer updates and reminders:
Summer Building Tours and Medication Drop-Off
Families and students are invited to visit the Samuel Mickle School on the dates and times below for a self-guided tour of the school, as well as have the opportunity to drop of medication to the school nurse. We welcome and look forward to seeing you during either of the summer building tour dates and times below:
- Tuesday, August 23rd from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 31st from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
3rd Grade Orientation and Information Session
Summer Bicycle Safety Presentation
A student enrolled in the Samuel Mickle School (grades 3 to 6) may ride his or her bicycle to school with parent/guardian written permission. Students must participate in a bicycle safety orientation in order to receive their bike riding pass. The purpose of the orientation is to ensure students are aware of bicycle safety both on and off Samuel Mickle School’s campus.
The Bicycle Safety Orientation will occur on Tuesday, August 30th from 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. in the Samuel Mickle School Library.
Students must be accompanied by an adult.
First Day of School for Students
Summer Work Practice
Summer "choice board" practice assignments and activities can be found here: Summer Work Packets. These assignments are optional but highly encouraged, as they are designed to help students maintain important skills that will be used during the year.
New Staff and Staff in New Positions
Please join me in welcoming several new staff members to Mickle, as well as those familiar faces that have changed positions heading into this year:
Mrs. Bethanne Barousse - new Assistant Principal
Mr. Eric Elliott - new 3rd Grade Classroom Teacher
Mrs. Katelyn Sweeney - new Self-Contained Special Education Teacher
Mrs. Rikki Lynn - new 6th Grade Classroom Teacher
Mrs. Alison Gentile - new BSI - ELA Teacher for grades 2 and 3
Mrs. Alice Meeks - now district STEAM Teachers for grades B - 6
Ms. Tara Knell - now 5th Grade Special Education Teacher
Mrs. Jaclyn Truscello - now BSI Math Teacher
- Bus passes will be mailed the week of August 15th. Please be sure to review your child’s bus pass closely. Bus numbers, routes and stops may have changed. These changes are due to changing student populations in some neighborhoods.
- Jeffrey Clark students must have a parent/guardian or Samuel Mickle sibling at the bus stop with them at pick up and drop off.
- Pick-up and drop-off times are approximate. Please be sure to have your child ready to board the bus 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time. After a week or two, the pick-up time will be consistent because the routine will be familiar to all.
- If there will be a significant delay in either pick up or drop off, it will be communicated to you via text message as soon as our contractor advises the district.
Mickle Student Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
- School begins at 8:40 a.m. Students may enter the building beginning at 8:25 a.m.
- If your child is absent, please notify the school's main office by 9:00 a.m. When your child returns to school, please send a note to be kept on file by the school nurse.
- Buses arrive in numbered bus lanes and bus riders will unload at approximately 8:25 a.m.
- School staff supervise students from the bus lanes to classrooms.
- No vehicles are permitted in the bus lanes.
- Please remind your child to follow all bus safety rules.
- School staff supervise students from the classrooms to the bus lanes.
- Bus departure begins at approximately 3:20 p.m.
- No vehicles are permitted in the bus lanes.
Arrival for Parent Drop-Off
- Students may be dropped off beginning at 8:25 a.m. School staff are not on duty to supervise students until 8:25 a.m.
- Please enter the car line in front of the school. Although the line can appear lengthy on inclement weather days, the line moves quickly.
- Parent Drop-Off students enter the school through the LGI door entrance. Please do not allow your child to exit the vehicle until the staff member on duty gives the signal to exit. This ensures that students will not be walking next to any moving vehicles.
- Please have your child exit the car from the right side closest to the curb, so students will exit directly onto the sidewalk.
- Please remain in your vehicle during drop-off. If you wish or need to escort your child to the school, please park in the main parking lot and use the crosswalk in order for your child to enter through the main entrance.
- Please do not drop-off your child inside the parking lot. Student are not permitted to cross the crosswalk without an adult. The car line should be utilized in order for students being dropped off to enter through the LGI door entrance.
Dismissal for Parent Pick-Up
- Student dismissal begins at 3:20 p.m. Parent pick-up students will be dismissed through the LGI door.
- Parent pick-up only occurs through student exit out of the LGI door with parents waiting in the parent pick-up line. No cars should be parked in the main lot or in the overflow lot waiting for students to walk to cars.
- If you are picking up your child prior to 3:20 p.m., please park in the parking lot and your child will be dismissed through the main entrance.
Arrival for Non-Transported Students
- Students may arrive at the school at 8:25 a.m. Please see that your child does not arrive prior to 8:25 a.m., as no staff will be on duty to supervise students or allow students into the school until 8:25 a.m.
- Non-transported students and bike riders enter the school through the gym door entrance.
- If your child is riding his or her bike to school, please complete and return the Bicycle Permission Slip on our school website. Your child will be provided with a Samuel Mickle bike permission removable tag to be placed on his or her bike.
Dismissal for Non-Transported Students and Bike Riders
- Non-transported students and bike riders will exit through the gym doors and travel up the sidewalk by the bus lanes. If you are waiting to meet your non-transported student, please wait at the top of the bus lanes.
- Mickle students that are meeting his or her sibling who is a student at Clark will travel up the sidewalk and meet the sibling at the designated grade-level location at Clark School.
- All students will be escorted across the crosswalk by our crossing guard.
Beyond the Bell
- Beyond the Bell will provide specific information regarding arrival and dismissal procedures. Please note that the location for Beyond the Bell drop-off and pick-up is the parking lot directly next to the Samuel Mickle School playground. This lot is for Beyond the Bell and staff only.
- As we prepare for the upcoming school year, an early reminder for students to be sure to bring their district-issued Chromebook and case with them to school each day. While used selectively, the district-issued device is part of each student's necessary classroom supplies, similar to a pencil, book, or paper. All students are expected to come to school each day prepared with a fully charged, district-issued Chromebook. We highly recommend designating a location in your home for the device to charge at night and to be easily placed in the student's backpack in the morning. Establishing this routine from the start of the school year will really help your child be prepared each day throughout the year.
- For our 3rd Grade students that will be receiving district-issued Chromebooks, our Technology Department will be preparing devices so that they can be distributed to students on the first day of school. Students will be provided with their Chromebooks, a case, and a copy of the district's acceptable use policy for devices from their Homeroom teacher once the school year resumes.
If you feel that you may be eligible for meal benefits, applications are available through the district website under the "Food Services" page or you may contact Mrs. Tammie Zane, our district's cafeteria manager, by calling 856-423-0412 Ext. 1043 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org